Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Windows to Wild Dog (Yikes!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Switching from Windows to Wild Dog (Yikes!)

I think you can scan to pdf and jpeg, but I'm not sure. I usually use the default...

Amy
    about|blog|twitter
    Machines: custom built desktop (Ubuntu and Windows 7), Macbook Air

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gamerchick02 View Post
    I virtualized WinXP for a few months using 64-bit Ubuntu on my pangolian.
    confirmed. In fact, a 32-bit guest OS should actually perform a little better than a 64-bit guest OS.

They have a .deb that's simple to install, plus a lot of documentation to get you started.[/QUOTE]
    There's also an Open Source version available from the Ubuntu repositories. Just open up Software Center and search for "Virtualbox"

We also have a knowledge base article detailing how to get Windows running under Virtualbox. The link is here.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's also an Open Source version available from the Ubuntu repositories. Just open up Software Center and search for "Virtualbox"
    I seem to recall earlier posts on this forum that the open source version does not support USB? Has that changed?

We also have a knowledge base article detailing how to get Windows running under Virtualbox. The link is here.
    Great! I'm sure I will be visiting that page often!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The best way to avoid having permissions issues is to avoid running commands as root or sudo. If you rarely do that, then you should find that all the files you need to access are already set up for you to have permission to access them.
    Good to know. I often use sudo when I'm at the terminal prompt. I guess I didn't realize the consequences of that. I thought I was supposed to use sudo. Clearly, I have a tenuous grasp of the Linux OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeGrrl View Post
    Good to know. I often use sudo when I'm at the terminal prompt. I guess I didn't realize the consequences of that. I thought I was supposed to use sudo. Clearly, I have a tenuous grasp of the Linux OS.
    Depends on the task at hand. For example, any apt-get command will require sudo or it won't work. Sudo justs lets you run a task as root without the risks of logging on as root. ( Well thats my understanding i am also a newbie). Never run a command without knowing what it will do ESPECIALLY if it is a sudo command. If you are willing to learn linux and how to do things with the os. You should have no problem. Linux isn't hard, just different. Installation is done differently (biggest change). No more downloading .exe files and clicking on them and using the wizard to install. Use the repositories, occasionally you may just need to download a .deb file and double click on that. This is just the system 76 section of the official ubuntu forums. You can go anywhere here for support. There is a great community here to help. Plus there is some nice documentation.

Also system 76 has their own driver program for some extra stuff. So if you ever have to reinstall the os you will need to download that. (link in their knowledge base website). Also most system 76 computers have 64bit linux. You can run 32 bit programs on 64bit BUT you will need to install 32bit libraries. But you shouldn't need to. One of the first things you should do is install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. This is provides various codecs and I am pretty sure it also gives java and flash. (You may need to install 32bit libraries since there is no 64bit flash, there was a beta but it has been temporarily withdrawn) You will need a package called libdvdcss2 to play encrypted dvds (such as store bought movies). libdvdcss2 isn't in repositories and its legality is in the grey area but it has never been legally challenged in court. I hear it is in the medibuntu repository. You must get that from medibuntu.org
    And the minimize, maximize, close buttons have been moved to the left side. It's a little annoying but there are guides on how to move it back. Or you could use a different theme.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Whew!

I'll give it a try, Amy. Thanks. My HP scanner software allows me to save scans as searchable .pdfs and non-searchable .pdfs as well as .jpgs and variety of other formats. Does SimpleScan have that functionality?
    Over the years, one by one, I've found Linux applications that I like better than the old windows apps.
    A good start is using OpenOffice instead of MSOffice.

The only thing I still need windows for is my epson scanner app,
    it has just too many bells & whistles that I can't get to in Linux.
    I have an old copy of windows 2000 I run in VirtualBox that takes care of that.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My experience matches jdb's over the last three years. Xsane will handle my HP 4070 scanner but the HP software under WinXP does a better job for me. So when I scan I use the XP+HP combination.

BTW Windows 7 will not support the 4070 so going there would not solve my scanner problem. And if it did it would introduce a new series of problems!

I am a fairly serious photographer. I used Adobe Photo Elements under XP and it works well.

I now use Digicam and GIMP which work very well. For my purposes the handling of file types is particularly good.

Take your time to learn, explore and experiment. Learning new tools does take a bit of time. People on the Ubuntu forum are very helpful. System 76 support is the best I have seen in many years for mass-market consumer PC's.

If you are going to move to Linux you are in the right place.

BTW: I started out dual-booting between XP and Linux on a laptop. Dual-booting finally bit the dust because I found I just did not go over to XP very much at all. An XP Desktop box continues to run in order to handle Flight Simulators and the scanner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I seem to recall earlier posts on this forum that the open source version does not support USB? Has that changed?
    The open source version does not support USB yet. But, if you don't need it, the OSE is a great option. The knowledge base article covers both the standard and OSE versions, so it really doen't matter anyway.

Sudo is a tricky fiend. The way I use it is this: if I run a command that I expect to work, and it fails (especially if it says "Permission Denied") then I repeat the command with sudo (just run sudo !! to repeat the last command with sudo).

In general, don't use sudo if you don't know what the command will do (ask). Also, don't use sudo for file management (sudo cp ... or gksudo nautilus) unless you get permission errors. This will help prevent those nasty permissions problems.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sudo is a tricky fiend. The way I use it is this: if I run a command that I expect to work, and it fails (especially if it says "Permission Denied") then I repeat the command with sudo (just run sudo !! to repeat the last command with sudo).

In general, don't use sudo if you don't know what the command will do (ask). Also, don't use sudo for file management (sudo cp ... or gksudo nautilus) unless you get permission errors. This will help prevent those nasty permissions problems.
    I think that must have been my problem. I was using the sudo nautilus-no-desktop command to get the file browser with root privileges. I thought that would allow me to do whatever I needed to do file-wise anywhere on the computer. Maybe so, but now it seems that it set up later problems for me, in that I later couldn't copy and paste files into some folders in my own home directory. I found it very frustrating. I remember having a permissions issue when I set up my Apache Web server and I was denied access to see Web pages through the browser. Very vexing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, here's a new question about my switch from Windows to Ubuntu (Wild Dog).

I've been on Windows XP for quite a while; my husband is on an iMac. We get our Internet connections via ethernet cable through a Linksys cable router. The model number is BEFSR41 V.2.

I've used this router for several years, but it seems to work OK. We do have to re-boot from time to time and sometimes I wonder if our Internet broadband connection would be faster if we updated our router.

Is it desirable for me to update our router?

Also, I installed Linksys software on my WindowsXP box that allows me to configure the router. Will I need to look for a router with Linux software to do the configuring? Which routers would those be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast