Thread: Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Wine

I have my laptop partitioned between XP & ubuntu, on the XP partition I have Adobe Photo Elements, if I used WINE would I be able to use it on the Ubuntu partition. I have the installation CD for the Photo Elements

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wine

Quote Originally Posted by pensioner77 View Post
    I have my laptop partitioned between XP & ubuntu, on the XP partition I have Adobe Photo Elements, if I used WINE would I be able to use it on the Ubuntu partition. I have the installation CD for the Photo Elements
    You would need to reinstall it in Ubuntu, but it will work. Take a look at the Wine wiki for Photoshop.

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Depends, it may or may not work due to the programs dependencies. If it needs Adobe Air, I recommend downloading that first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pensioner77 View Post
    Wine is not really designed to be used in that manner. In fact, there are parts of it that will prevent you from doing some things with an existing Windows partition, as Wine can and will break Windows, leaving that partition un-bootable. The recommended method of using Wine for anything is to install the application within Wine's own "fake Windows" environment so that the app can be run in a nearly native manner.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Wine

Thanks everyone, I had intended to instal again using Wine and I now have the confidence to try it.