Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by TheForumTroll View Post
    gmrple:
    I think the difference is because we are looking at two different models: your are looking at the P model and the one I found is the PX model. I haven't been able to find any P models for sale here.

The Asus 1005PE costs 15 % more where I live than the 1001PX. I'm not sure it is worth it for what I'm going to need.

AltomineUK:
    The only Compaq I have found in the shops I use, costing approximatively the same as the Eee, is the HP Compaq Mini 110c-1101SO. I have no idea if it runs Linux too.

I have been recommended the Samsung np-nc10 and I might be able to get one used. Acording to this it seems to work fine with Ubuntu too. Anyone tried it? So far it is between the Samsung np-nc10 and the Asus 1001PX.
    Hmmm..... it's got similar specs to my netbook, so i doubt you will come across much problems.

BTW how do you put an image below your username when you use the Forum? (I think they are called Avatars or something?...)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

In your control-panel: More specific here.
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Asus 1201T from NewEgg comes with NO OS so is cheap while seemingly well constructed. I have had mine for 5 months.

Rocks with ubuntu. You'll have to fix the wireless unless they have upgraded the kernel in the downloaded cd image. I understand it was fixed in the -23 kernel, but the last cd image I have has the -21

There are some other tweaks to get things ideal (Fn keys) but it pretty much just worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

MSi Wind AMD editions. Extremely powerful and worth every penny. I've got the dual core and running full blown Ubuntu 64 Bit edition without any issues.
    Big D
    My Blog
    AMD FX 9590 Vishera/32 Gig DDR3 1866/AMD R9 290X GHz Edition
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit/Xubuntu 15.04 Beta 1 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

Hello fellow-users of Linux,

Most computer systems that's got Pentium III or above (i'm assuming 700 MHz) and 256 MB ram or above will do.... I reckon netbooks have a better deal at running Linux in general because they have less things to go wrong.
    Last edited by PresenceofMind; July 19th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Processor: Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz. RAM: 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz. HDD: 160GB @ 5,400rpm. Wifi: Atheros b/g/n @ 2.4GHz. Display: 1240x600 @ 60Hz. GPU: Intel 945GME. Performance: Flawless.

Beans

Re: Advice: Which cheap netbook to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by TheForumTroll View Post
    Hello experts

I've been thinking about getting a netbook to use when I'm "out in the field" (giving support at users home) and I need something light, cheap and most importantly 100 % Linux compatible. I'm going to run Ubuntu netbook on it and use it to stuff like Wireshark to troubleshoot Ethernet, WiFi, etc.

So far I'm looking on the Asus Eee PC 1001PX (Seashell).

Any advice?
    The 1001PX has issues with Wireless in Ubuntu. See here:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...php?p=12080292

This may be fixed in the future however

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    <snip>Asus 1201T from NewEgg </snip>
    As I'm in Denmark I think it is cheaper to buy it here than from NewEgg

Quote Originally Posted by PresenceofMind View Post
    Most computer systems that's got Pentium III or above (i'm assuming 700 MHz) and 256 MB ram or above will do....
    I wish it was that easy!
    Many systems does not work with Linux and buying a complete system, as a netbook or a notebook, changing one component to another one can be hard. I own a notebook that cannot even boot Ubuntu or the LiveCD. It stops and complains (BIOS something?) before Grub is even launched.

Unfortunately the laptop testing page in the Wiki is very outdated.
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12