Thread: GIMP file image compression

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink GIMP file image compression

I've spent quite a while now and had numerous discussions on this forum relating to GIMP and its lack of ability to reduce certain images to a decent file size.

Problem solved: For most of the time GIMP rocks but occasionally I've come across images that simply wont reduce far enough, especially in relation to images for the web.eg I have an image from a photo shoot that's 4000 x 2000 in size and 127mb in a tiff format. Fine but when I reduced the image to 500px wide and then saved for the web the file size was nearly 560k. Great but still not good for the web. So I started experimenting with formats.

This is what I've found: first after you've opened your tiff image in GIMP then save as a 16bit bmp. Then resize the image to what ever you need and then use the save for web function. The image is chrystal clear and it's now only 27k, which means it will load quickly on the web.

I should note that most of the time I just reduce my 45mb (approx) images to the desired size and then use save for web and it normally works great, reducing the file size to under 25k.

I hope this helps a few people, it took me several hours. Be nice to hear if it does help.

GIMP just keeps on rockin!
    (even if they haven't included it in the latest release)
    Smile . . there's always tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: GIMP file image compression

I installed GIMP last night because I'm struggling with the exact same problem you're describing. However I have .JPG images...and unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to save an image as 16bit bmp in GIMP. Do you have any specific suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

theres a plugin for gimp called "save for web" with

"Options to reduce file size of an image include setting compression quality, number or colors, resizing, cropping, Exif information removal, etc."

you should take a look at http://registry.gimp.org/
    there are so many useful and fun plugins
    Last edited by Matt__; February 25th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.
    Toshiba AMD64 2Ghz, 4Gb RAM: dual Natty/win7. Dell Mini10v: 10.04. SamsungN140:win7/11.04. NB200:10.10.
    ++ desktops P4 3Ghz ++ servers
    Full Circle Magazine | Ubuntu Pocket Guide | HantsLUG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Matt__ View Post
    theres a plugin for gimp called "save for web" with

"Options to reduce file size of an image include setting compression quality, number or colors, resizing, cropping, Exif information removal, etc."

you should take a look at http://registry.gimp.org/
    there are so many useful and fun plugins
    Thanks, that does look like a useful plug-in, but I stumbled onto how to do what I needed. File>Save As>{name}.bmp > in the pop-up dialogue choose advanced options>16 bit.

The only slight confusion is whether to choose "RS G6 B5" or "X1 R5 G5 B5" --any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's none of Gimp's fault: you should read about the difference between TIF, PNG and JPG, in particular the lossless vs lossy argument. Additionally JPG doesn't support 16 bit images.