Thread: Anyone with Intel i3 Laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone with Intel i3 Laptop?

I have a new Dell laptop with an Intel Core i3-330 processor. I tried a couple LiveCD's yesterday on it but I wanted to know from someone who has the same processor in a laptop, how hot does your machine get when using it with applications like Adobe Flash? My older AMD machines run great but tend to get hot under long use, such as flash based games or video playback. CPU scaling is enabled on those machines, proprietary drivers installed, fan works great, air ducts are clear. In Windows they stay cool but in any distro they get hot mostly with Flash.

Anyway, does anyone have an experience with a laptop with an i3 that stays cool all the time on Linux? What steps had to be taken to get it running cool with flash apps? I can enable scaling and the Intel driver may be part of the newer kernels (not positive).

Any insight is appreciated before I install on this machine. I have PCLinuxOS running quite well on another machine and Ubuntu running ok as well, but both still heat up occasionally with flash games or videos and all steps taken to cool it (and Windows stays cool all the time on them).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anyone with Intel i3 Laptop?

Bumping to see if anyone may have an experience with the i3 under Ubuntu (or any distro).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think the problem is not i3 nor Linux specific. It's just proprietary flash plugin that sucks. You just need to pray to get an opensource flash plugin from Adobe...

Beans

I bought a HP G72-120SD (Core i3-330M 2.13MHz) last weekend and installed 10.04 LTS. The machine does not get warmer than running Win 7. By watching Youtube, the CPU load is about 15-20%.