i have ubuntu 10.04
    this is what i have done. according with some website i saw tutorials
    http://www.citadel.org/doku.php/inst...eq-debian.html

aptitude update
    aptitude install build-essential curl g++ gettext shared-mime-info
    aptitude update
    aptitude install libssl-dev
    aptitude install citadel-suite

then after that i had few option that i leaved everything by default.
    now i m at other pc then i wrote in the browser the ip of my server and voila , i m on the webcit but i have not clue what to do in all those menus.

i had a zimbra email server that the mobo just die , so i m using other pc.
    my domain is mail [.] gabakmail [.] com [.] ar
    i have a public ip and the dns i have them in zoneedit or everydns aiming to my ip.
    so now what?
    i found this site that helps me a little but there are examples that i dont understand 100% http://www.aeronetworks.ca/citadel-basics.html
    Plz some examples will be great
    how do i protect my server against hackers? or ppl who want to use my server to send spam?

thank you all in advance

Beans

Re: how to setup citadel email server? ubuntu 10.04 server

You don't need to add anything to Linux to protect against hackers. There are just a few things that you should *not* do on a public server:
    Do not run VNC server.
    Do not run Telnet server.
    Do not run FTP server.
    Do not run Samba server.
    Do not use short passwords.

Citadel is secure, provided that you use long passwords for everybody and don't allow self service account creation (kinda well duh...).

Install SpamAssassin and ClamAV and hook them in Citadel at the network configuration screen to filter out junk mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thxs good advice.
    i got it up and running this is great and very easy.
    plz could you tell me
    1-how to force users to use SSL for pop and smtp?
    2-Also how do i setup smtp requiere authentication?
    3- how do i do , so the user wont create their own account?

thank you so much in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: how to setup citadel email server? ubuntu 10.04 server

Advice n.1
    Remove Citadel. I runned it for 6 months... I know what I'm talking. Just bad as you eventually see.
    It's a pre-history software FULL of bugs and citserver crashes and database problems. Yes the database is not Mysql... lol, the database is BERKELEY.
    I think the problem you had was the database going nuts in it's famous spiral of death.... not an attack
    Their support is rude and obnoxious, and basically useless... have you ever seem their support forum????
    Why don't you try the sieve rules, try the vacation rule lolololol... wait better not.
    Their webmail is badly constructed and it looks like "c**p". The administrator part is worse... most of the admmin commands are missing (so you need to command line). Their rules, user, groups, distributions list is buggy and only makes sense in their mind.
    Try to group members and then created a distribution list... better not .
    Email server BBS style? 1980's.

Advice n.2.. use Postfix
    Use something professional, very easy to install. With tons of documentation online and excellent support forums.
    For the webmail install round cube on top of postfix.
    Your email will be solved forever.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: how to setup citadel email server? ubuntu 10.04 server

ok
    thank you for the advice.
    what do you think about zimbra?
    do you know any step by step to make a good mail server?

Quote Originally Posted by pmla View Post
    Advice n.1
    Remove Citadel. I runned it for 6 months... I know what I'm talking. Just bad as you eventually see.
    It's a pre-history software FULL of bugs and citserver crashes and database problems. Yes the database is not Mysql... lol, the database is BERKELEY.
    I think the problem you had was the database going nuts in it's famous spiral of death.... not an attack
    Their support is rude and obnoxious, and basically useless... have you ever seem their support forum????
    Why don't you try the sieve rules, try the vacation rule lolololol... wait better not.
    Their webmail is badly constructed and it looks like "c**p". The administrator part is worse... most of the admmin commands are missing (so you need to command line). Their rules, user, groups, distributions list is buggy and only makes sense in their mind.

Advice n.2.. use Postfix
    Use something professional, very easy to install. With tons of documentation online and excellent support forums.

Beans
    Distro

Step 1

Install Ubuntu 9.04 server with no extra options. The installer does offer to include a mail server---DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION. Once the basic installation is complete, reboot your computer and log in at the prompt.
    Step 2

Install the required packages and Citadel itself. At the command prompt, enter
    sudo apt-get install spamassassin clamav clamav-milter citadel-suite amavisd-new
    Step 3

Enable SpamAssassin, and start it. As root, edit the /etc/default/spamassassin configuration file, and set
    ENABLED=1
    Then run "/etc/init.d/spamassassin start"
    Step 4

Log into the Citadel administration interface from a web browser, by on your server's IP address. If your server's IP is 192.168.0.1 for example, you would enter this in your browser's URL bar:
    http://192.168.0.1
    The default user is "Administrator" and the default password is the one you choosed when you install citadel
    Step 5

Click "Administration," then "edit site-wide configuration." Enter your web server's fully qualified domain name (such as mail.foobar.com). If you do not have one, you can use dyndns.org or a similar service to generate one dynamically for you. This option must be set for email to work.
    Step 6
    Return to the Administration menu; use "add, change, delete user accounts" to create your mail users. Your citadel email and webmail server is complete.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gabak View Post
    ok
    thank you for the advice.
    what do you think about zimbra?
    do you know any step by step to make a good mail server?
    Zimbra is also very good... as you know smtp is postfix based.

In November this year they are finally releasing support for Ubuntu 10.04 x64 LTS.... iupiiiii it will happen in Zimbra build 6.0.9 ... the current build is 6.0.7 (support for ubuntu 8.04)

In November, I'm going to change to Zimbra to have easy and central administration over the entire system using the web browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pmla View Post
    Advice n.1

Advice n.2.. use Postfix
    I disagree COMPLETELY! I have been using Citadel for a while, and even though I haven't used all the features, what I use has worked reliably.

Are you sure you are using the latest release from their Debian repos? Mine: Citadel 7.82 with WebCit 7.81, server build 8707

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    I disagree COMPLETELY! I have been using Citadel for a while, and even though I haven't used all the features, what I use has worked reliably.

Are you sure you are using the latest release from their Debian repos? Mine: Citadel 7.82 with WebCit 7.81, server build 8707
    Yes... Tested it just last week. Besides I runned it on a production system with 120 users.... Biggest mistake and worse months of my life. Still remember today the 2 database corruptions I had with it.
    Just the old cr*p like 6 months ago.

-Database = still berkeley = BIG MISTAKE, you if don't know the difference between a mysql and berkeley database... not going to explain you... just google
    -Distributions lists = no improvement
    -User Management and grouping = no improvement
    -ROOMS = still only makes sense in citadel peoples minds.
    -Commands = still only available in command line and not web browser
    -Sieve Rules = not working fully.... giving error as seen more than 1 year ago... sieve vacation still does not work in ubuntu based systems ( exactly the same as more than 1 year ago)
    -webmin = better display / layout but, same old design, no extra functions added to the administrator.
    -client software = no special integration, no client
    -Calendars = joke, no free /busy support
    -log = still giving errors
    LIST IS ENDLESS

Hey kevin, you clearly have low expectations when it comes to an email server or integrated system, not even mentioning anything production related. With don't you try a real email system like Zimbra that can easily be used in Production. NO COMPARISON

Rest my case... please use citadel if that makes you feel warm inside... the rest of us can use postfix / zimbra

Beans
    Distro

yes PMLA you are right surely but i short of time right now ,i had up and runnig citadel in 5 minutes and i have few users for the email now but i could make work the antispam do you know how to make it work???
    i have done this but nothing yet

sudo apt-get install clamav clamav-milter spamassassin citadel-suite amavisd-new

Install and Start Spamassassin

vim /etc/default/spamassassin

# Change to one to enable spamd
    ENABLED=1

sudo /etc/init.d/spamassassin start

according this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...48#post9672048

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast