Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: alacarte menu editor compatibility

Beans

alacarte menu editor compatibility

I've just recently downloaded Lubuntu 10.04 and tried it. It was nice because it was light on my machine. My only problem is, is that it doesn't have a graphical menu editor, and I don't know how to edit menus other than using GUIs.

I've read something about alacarte-menu-editor being able to be used in Lubuntu. I would just like to confirm if it DOES work with Lubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: alacarte menu editor compatibility

Bumping this thread. Sure would appreciate some reps. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

i'm not sure, as I've only tried Lubuntu a little in a virtual machine, but I think that could be done with the default tools that come with the system. Try right-clicking everything, looking for "properties", etc. It may be not a tool like "Menu editor, hey! click me", but some menu/obect's properties. Good luck!

Beans

I tried the right clicking thing. When I right click the menu button, there is an option about the settings of the menu but when you click it, it's only the setting of the image shown in the menu button, nothing else.

Hmmm... anyways, I'm currently installing... when I'm finished installing I'll try the alacarte menu editor and I'll post the results afterwards.

Beans

Well, I've successfully installed lubuntu, upgraded and installed alacarte via synaptic package manager. The said program installed quite well, It was added to the list of programs in the lubuntu main menu. But the problem is, even though alacarte worked as a program, the changes you make in it doesn't apply to the lubuntu menu. So in other words, my question as to the compatibility of alacarte to lubuntu is sadly answered with a "no" T_T

But I would like to ask another question... How do I edit the lubuntu Menu? I would just like to omit but not delete some items in the menu. Can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by jeidern; July 14th, 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added a question.

Beans

Bumping for help ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What determines a program or functions location in the lxpanel menu plugin is the Categories= of it's .desktop file.

cat /usr/share/applications/abiword.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
    Exec=abiword
    Icon=abiword_48
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Office;WordProcessor;GNOME;GTK;X-Red-Hat-Base;
    StartupNotify=true
    X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.9
    MimeType=application/x-abiword;text/x-abiword;text/x-xml-abiword;text/plain;application/msword;application/rtf;application/vnd.plain;application/xhtml+xml;text/html;application/x-crossmark;application/docbook+xml;application/x-t602;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer;application/vnd.stardivision.writer;text/vnd.wap.wml;application/wordperfect6;application/wordperfect5.1;application/vnd.wordperfect;application/x-abicollab;application/vnd.palm;application/x-applix-word;application/x-kword;application/x-mif;application/x-mswrite;application/x-palm-database;text/abiword;text/richtext;text/rtf;application/x-abicollab
    Name=AbiWord
    GenericName=Word Processor
    Comment=Compose, edit, and view documents

Categories list: http://standards.freedesktop.org/men...atest/apa.html

Beans

Im sorry for I am a newbie when it comes to these things. I tried searching for the .desktop file. I checked the /usr/share/applications directory and I can't seem to find it... how do I find it and how do I go about editing the .desktop file?

Beans

open terminal and
    cd /usr/share/applications
    sudo leafpad nameoffile.destop

I have nautilus installed so i would do
    sudo leafpad nautilus-browser.desktop
    found out the name by using pcmanfm right click properties
    now to make then go away look at the example

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=File Browser
    Comment=Browse the file system with the file manager
    TryExec=nautilus
    Exec=nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U
    Icon=system-file-manager
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=true
    Categories=GTK;System;Utility;Core;
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=nautilus
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.30.1
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nautilus

the above has
    NoDisplay=true
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME; just add them to the files you dont want to show up I had to take it out of the above file so that nautilus would show up in the menu listings

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

yeah, I've noticed that Alacarte does show the menu items, but cannot edit them (pressing the properties button). Anyone know where specifically I'm supposed to post a bug like this? I'm not interested in editing files; that's why I use a desktop-environment. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast