Thread: Programs use all cpu, and won't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Programs use all cpu, and won't work

Trying to start a new program results in a blank window with the name of the program, but nothing else. For example: strace wxmaxima gives:

Code:

gettimeofday({1278955762, 968311}, NULL) = 0
    poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=8, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=11, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=12, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLIN}, {fd=15, events=POLLOUT}, {fd=18, events=POLLIN}], 9, 0) = 1 ([{fd=12, revents=POLLHUP}])
    read(5, 0x8dbc4a0, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    gettimeofday({1278955762, 968453}, NULL) = 0
    poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=8, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=11, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=12, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=14, events=POLLIN}, {fd=15, events=POLLOUT}, {fd=18, events=POLLIN}], 9, 0) = 1 ([{fd=12, revents=POLLHUP}])
    read(5, 0x8dbc4a0, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    gettimeofday({1278955762, 982719}, NULL) = 0
    The Resource temporarily unavailable keeps repeating and it uses all cpu. Same error happens with any program. Amarok says "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Programs use all cpu, and won't work

Has it been doing this? Or is it just doing it now, if it's the latter, reboot. If that doesn't work, open a program in the terminal, and when it fails, post this:
    dmesg
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!

I also noticed "read-only filesystem" error before shut down.
    After reboot and a disk-check, it said there were errors on /. After it fixed them, it works fine again. Looks like some program somehow messed up the file system? I had this same exact problem awhile ago, is there any way to keep this from happening?

Beans
    Hidden!

All the tests in GSmartControl give "Test result: Completed without error", so it must be a software problem? a bug in the kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm noticing a similar problem again... When selecting the "Open" button in a gtk based program, it crashes. Apport crash reporter shows "Title: programname crashed with SIGSEGV in g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VOID()" and "SegvReason: writing unknown VMA", in every crash. Other programs that don't use the standard open dialog don't have this problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm getting a similar error again... I can't save file in home or /tmp, it always says "read only file system". Could this have something to do with Virtualbox running recently? Is there some way to make filesystem read-write again?

Beans

install htop type it in a terminal it tells you how to install it
    after installed type htop click enter
    see what is hitting the cpu so hard
    you can kill/stop it
    it gives you something to work with
    or what needs fixed