Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deep freeze clone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: deep freeze clone

Surely the best solution is to implement this at the filesystem level like a live CD, where the filesystem is read-only but you can 'update' it by writing to RAM disk filesystem?

That way there's no need to copy anything as the new 'files' are in RAM and disappear on the next reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am not trying to be mean, honestly.
    But why is everyone so keen on changing my question?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have probably asked this question in the wrong sub-forum, if you want to create an application. I would suggest you ask your question in the Programming Talk sub-forum.

Beans

Jake, did you ever figure out how to create what you want? My boss and I were just discussing this very thing. Why isn't there an Open Source version of Deep Freeze? It's exactly what we are looking for. We have a 45-station public computer lab at a library. We're currently using SteadyState, as we have XP machines. We want to move to Windows 7, but in Microsoft's ultimate wisdom, they have discontinued compatibility. They apparently started out offering something like SteadyState to use with Windows 7 and then took it away. I would think there would be thousands of small internet cafes, public libraries and schools that are looking for the same thing. I'm surprised I can't find anything. If you come up with something, I would love to try it:
    Last edited by cariboo; October 21st, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: remove email address for safety

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you still working on this project? Have you seen this thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=rsync+freeze>?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12