Thread: ubuntu studio live cd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ubuntu studio live cd?

i've been long interested in ubuntu studio, i've used ubuntu for about a year, maybe a year and a half and have gotten bored. I am a music student so i was hoping to find a good thing for music composition and notation, not just mixing and recording.
    I downloaded and burned ubuntu studio, but when i boot form it, it doesn't give an option to run as a live cd.
    Is this not an option for ubuntu studio? I find that odd since it is a variant, you would assume that kind of thing would carry over

thanks
    chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ubuntu studio live cd?

There is no live mode for studio, but it is basically the same as Ubuntu with a few extras installed. I take it you will want to use MIDI for your composing, so you could just try out Rosegarden on a regular install.
    I'm not quite sure what a composition based app would actually do, could you elaborate? I tend to jot my ideas down on paper and then use a DAW like Ardour to get them recorded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cchhrriiss121212 View Post
    There is no live mode for studio, but it is basically the same as Ubuntu with a few extras installed. I take it you will want to use MIDI for your composing, so you could just try out Rosegarden on a regular install.
    I'm not quite sure what a composition based app would actually do, could you elaborate? I tend to jot my ideas down on paper and then use a DAW like Ardour to get them recorded.
    until now, the main thing i've used is finale on the macs at school. With a composition program such as that it has a layout that is better suited for composition, thats really one of the biggest things, with some of this programs that i've used, I can't find out how to use any expression markings or anything over just notes and dynamics. Also with composition programs there is usually an option for a quicker mode of entry than point and click.
    On finale, you can use a combination of a midi keyboard and the number pad and several other keys to enter notes on the staff and any other character you would need without ever even touching the mouse, or you can also just use the keyboard in another mode. It makes entering music SO much faster.
    There really are just a lot of little things that make a big difference in usability for more advanced projects

Beans
    Distro

I have not used Finale so I don't know how these will compare, but MuseScore and Lilypond are FOSS programs that seem to have the features you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The main thing i've had trouble with in the past with music is with midi playback. Can you direct me to a thread that could help me with this? I've never been able to make it work! I'll definitely look into those, so thanks.

EDIT: Tried Musescore, REALLY like it so far, i'll have to dig a little deeper, but seems really good, thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by wcutrombonekid; July 26th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I think Musescore can do midi playback. There is also this:
    http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/200...ith-audacious/