Thread: grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it.

I'm trying to install grub2 onto a USB drive.

Here's the error I'm getting:

Code:
    # grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/temp_liveusb_root16566/usb /dev/sdf
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.  core.img won't fit in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.
    Here's how my USB drive is partitioned:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l /dev/sdf

Disk /dev/sdf: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
    23 heads, 23 sectors/track, 14804 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 529 * 512 = 270848 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdf1   *           1       14804     3915646+  83  Linux
    Any ideas?
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    I'm trying to install grub2 onto a USB drive.

Here's the error I'm getting:

Code:
    # grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/temp_liveusb_root16566/usb /dev/sdf
    Any ideas?
    /tmp is a System folder with various restrictions and limitations, why are you using it?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in

Yeah, using the local /tmp dir is one interesting thing. If you are just trying to install grub2 to your USB, you would normally mount it and use the mountpoint or a permanent sub-directory under the mountpoint for the install.

For example, say /dev/sdf is mounted under /media/myusb, then
    "sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/myusb /dev/sdf"
    should install grub2 to the MBR of your USB drive and the grub files would go under /media/usb/boot/grub/.

The other issue here I think is that your post MBR region is small enough to embed core.img. With a logical geometry of 23 sectors/track and your partition starting at cylinder 1, I get a feeling that you do not have enough LBA's for embedding that file. To confirm it, could you please post the output of "sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sdf".
    You need around 32KB following the MBR for embedding, which means you may have to resize sdf1 or use blocklists or repartition your drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

SOLVED:

I theorized that the problem was the flash drive's geometry. See the fdisk printout and note:

23 heads, 23 sectors/track

I ran fdisk again, but this time I made the first partition start at 2 instead of the default 1. (I did not change the geometry.) This gave a little more room on the flash drive in front of the partition. Bingo, problem solved.

(So it didn't have anything to do with using /tmp.)

Postscript:
    This got me thinking about partition alignment on my flash drive. The drive is a Patriot XT 4GB. I think it uses 128K erase blocks? (reference: http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/...se-block-size/)

As an experiment of sorts, I decided to redo the partitions and for 128k alignment. Here's how I did it in a nutshell. It works, although I did not do any benchmarking.

Code:
    ~# fdisk -l
    ~# mount -l
    ~# umount /dev/sdf*
    ~#  fdisk -H 224 -S 56 /dev/sdf
    Command (m for help): p
    Command (m for help): o
    Command (m for help): n
    Command action
       e   extended
       p   primary partition (1-4)
    p
    Partition number (1-4): 1
    First cylinder (1-624, default 1): 
    Using default value 1
    Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (1-624, default 624): 
    Using default value 624
    Command (m for help): x
    Expert command (m for help): b
    New beginning of data (56-7827455, default 56): 256
    Expert command (m for help): r
    Command (m for help): u
    Command (m for help): a
    Command (m for help): w
    ~# mke2fs -t ext2 -E stripe-width=32,resize=165G /dev/sdf1
    ~# tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/sdf1
    references:
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...226#post373226
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3696
    and, of course:
    http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/...se-block-size/
    Last edited by MountainX; July 11th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by john newbuntu View Post
    The other issue here I think is that your post MBR region is small enough to embed core.img. With a logical geometry of 23 sectors/track and your partition starting at cylinder 1, I get a feeling that you do not have enough LBA's for embedding that file. To confirm it, could you please post the output of "sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sdf".
    You were right. I confirmed by repartitioning starting at cylinder 2, as I posted above. Thanks for your info.

Beans

I had this problem on a Dell server. It was fixed by deleting the Dell utility partition (which is worthless) and re-running grub-setup. My theory is that the Dell utility partition starts at too low of a sector to give grub2 enough room to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just an FYI for anyone coming to this post from Google as I just did.

I ran into this problem today trying to install GRUB on my 16GB USB thumb drive. After reading this post I installed gparted in Ubuntu 10.04 and move the start of the first partition up 1MB.

Fixed the problem in two minutes without reformatting the entire disk.
    And the thread title of the year award goes to...
    " Supositories not working - On the verge of losing it here - help!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HittingSmoke View Post
    Fixed the problem in two minutes without reformatting the entire disk.
    I am trying this now, will update with result. However, how did that take two minutes for you?? It first read all data (there was 3GB, yet it did all 16GB), taking 15 minutes, now it's writing it all back, taking an estimated hour or more.

Did I do something wrong?

Edit: I aborted it, it soon lapsed to 1:30 and longer, so I just opted to reinstall (it was a fresh install anyhow). I repartitioned with gparted, which in fact didn't even let me start the partition at 0mb. It worked after that. IMO this is a bug in the installer, because partitioning with gparted worked straight away.
    Last edited by StrikerNL; January 8th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the discussion, as I had the same '...embedding area unusually small ...' error with my Patriot Torqx2 32GB SSD (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004XVN1U8/ ) and could solve it with your help.

fdisk -l showed me that the 1st partition began at sector 32. When I initially installed Ubuntu 10.04 on this drive, it complained with the grub-error, but it then went ahead and used blocklists and everything worked fine. Today I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 but it did NOT proceed with blocklists but rather stopped after reporting the error ( I did not try the --force option).

After adding some space before the 1st partition using gparted, that partition now starts at sector 63 and grub went through without error.

Some oddity in using gparted: it allows only to add 1MiB or more as preceding space to a partition, though my 31 extra sectors of 512bytes each is a whole lot less than 1 MiB. How comes???

Nevertheless, it is working fine again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, works for me too.