Thread: ATI Graphics Performance on Ubuntu

Beans

ATI Graphics Performance on Ubuntu

Im in the process of building a new PC, I know that OpenGL and hardware support in general is better for Nvidia than ATI.

This will be with the open source driver or Catalyst driver if you can get it to work.

My questions for ATI card users:
    1) What frame rate do you see on extreme tux racer when using full screen
    at 1280x1024 (or similar resolutions)
    (For comparison I get about 45 to 50 fps @ 1280x1024 using an Nvidia 7900GTS card on Intel P4 2.8GHZ (single core CPU).

2)Has anyone got compiz working with ATI? (Only effect I use is the cube switching desktops.

3)Image editing in Gimp. Are the cards so slow you have to wait for the screen to redraw?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ATI Graphics Performance on Ubuntu

This will depend on which ati card you are talking about; some are great, some are a mess, particularly in 10.04. More detail needed please.

Beans

Re: ATI Graphics Performance on Ubuntu

I'm using a RadeonHD 4550 (RV710 chip, passively cooled) with the xorg-edgers PPA (bleeding-edge open-source drivers). I get about 28-40fps in extreme tux racer at 1280x1024 and compiz runs very well.

I can't answer your gimp question, since I don't do intensive stuff in gimp (resizing large images is the most I do and I've never had an issue with that).