Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Linux share at record high.

Beans

Re: Linux share at record high.

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Why are people concerned about market share? It doesn't matter at all. Nobody makes any money out of Linux 'market share'.
    This question comes up every time a thread like this appears. First to get it out of the way, when we say market share, we of course mean the approximate percentages of users who use each OS, not the sales volumes.

There is a direct benefit for us to having a higher Linux market share. Hardware and software companies have a more incentive to create products for Linux. This translates to more drivers available to Linux, for example, or more commercial grade software available to us.

On a more idealistic level, desktop OS is dominated by Microsoft. This is not completely bad, because it allows a common standard for developers. Instead of trying to make their software work for a hundreds of OS' they can reach a majority of users on just Windows. In the end though, its a monopoly, and this harms users. It would be better for Linux (or some other free OS) to become the standard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I always thought it hovered at or around 1%! I'm fairly skeptical, doubt it's higher than 2 or 3% though, seeing as out of the people I know, I only know 2 who have ever heard of linux.
    That speaks of you entourage, not of Linux.

In my hometown, (a tiny village on the Alps) no one I know has ever heard of linux. In my workplace, almost everyone has, also if only 5 out of 50 have installed it ever.
    Last edited by bruno9779; July 13th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

So we all agree that although you don't know a lot of people who use Linux, and even though I do know tons of people who use Linux, none of this is a true representation of the actual percentage of users, and shouldn't be taken to seriously indicate the amount of users?

Man, sometimes I just have to laugh at the unwarranted pessimism I come across in this community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    So we all agree that although you don't know a lot of people who use Linux, and even though I do know tons of people who use Linux, none of this is a true representation of the actual percentage of users, and shouldn't be taken to seriously indicate the amount of users?

Man, sometimes I just have to laugh at the unwarranted pessimism I come across in this community.
    Pessimism... there's a lot of it around here sometimes

Oh and as an off hand comment so to speak, I believe your current bean count (333) is somewhat lucky in Japan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRain View Post
    That's a weak argument. What about the people who know 20 linux users? I personally know 6 users.
    I'm not saying that the overall market share is like that; I don't live in a particularly technologically literate area. Its just that it's hard to believe that I should know 5 linux users when I know none. It just makes me skeptical.
    I had to do it.

Beans

to put another spin on this
    The w3schools figure for Linux in June 2010 is the same %age figure for Mac June 2008

Linux usage share only 2 years behind Macs usage share?

Overly simplistic, I know
    OSX come pre-installed, plus there's the (self-generated) cool factor of macs
    but hey...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amauk View Post
    to put another spin on this
    The w3schools figure for Linux in June 2010 is the same %age figure for Mac June 2008

Linux usage share only 2 years behind Macs usage share?

Overly simplistic, I know
    OSX come pre-installed, plus there's the (self-generated) cool factor of macs
    but hey...
    I had to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    -snip- However, Wikipedia would be a reasonably representative sample of the entire internet, and their data is available.

Their data is as follows:
    Code:
    Linux	   67,070	1.80%
    -snip-
    The new numbers have come out, Linux is now at 1.88%.
    That's almost a 5% increase in just one month.

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia...ingSystems.htm

I mentioned earlier that I suspect Wikipedia to be significantly tilted towards English speakers, and that seems to be the case:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia...ortOrigins.htm

So it's not a very good global stat, but we don't have similar data from any of the other stats, so how global they are is completely unknown, they may be even worse.
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    The new numbers have come out, Linux is now at 1.88%.
    That's almost a 5% increase in just one month.

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia...ingSystems.htm

I mentioned earlier that I suspect Wikipedia to be significantly tilted towards English speakers, and that seems to be the case:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia...ortOrigins.htm

So it's not a very good global stat, but we don't have similar data from any of the other stats, so how global they are is completely unknown, they may be even worse.
    Hm, that's interesting, I would've thought BSD higher than 0.01. I'm highly satisfied that linux is at 1.8% though.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro

Lol, nice example Dustin.

Let's also take into account that, until recently, if you talked about being a Linux user, people basically ignored you because they didn't understand you, or thought you were being ultra-geeky. So a lot of people haven't been comfortable talking about the fact that they're a Linux user- you may know quite a few without having a clue. Also, many people have tried it out casually to revamp an old computer or something, and don't use it primarily.

Just as we can't suggest there are too many users, it would be sad to suggest there are less users due merely to pessimism. Like I've said before, there are lots of Linux users. The proportions aren't quite as important as the fact that we're loud, and there are lots of us.

Hopefully someday we come up with a way to find the number of users, and everyone's on board with it. I think even just one release anonymously polling unique machine IDs without storing that specific information, only the numbers, would be adequate. It just seems no one wants to know for some reason.

"Invisible Linux," if you will.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast