Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Linux share at record high.

Beans

Re: Linux share at record high.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinxlation View Post
    The IP addresses accessing the website don't tell how many unique users are accessing. DHCP can give you different addresses on every session.
    This is actually irrelevant. As long as the same proportions of Linux and Windows users use dynamic and static IPs (a very reasonable assumption.. there is no reason why Linux users would prefer one ISP over another) then the percentages are not affected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I always thought it hovered at or around 1%! I'm fairly skeptical, doubt it's higher than 2 or 3% though, seeing as out of the people I know, I only know 2 who have ever heard of linux.
    That's a weak argument. What about the people who know 20 linux users? I personally know 6 users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Canonical should release a UME version (Ubuntu Messed Edition): a special edition of Ubuntu which simulate the life circle of a common windows XP sp1 installation.
    Progressively by time in time install trojan, malaware, spyware, viruses, adware, dialer and all this kind of stuff faking the "internet presence" of tons linux installations.

Then you'll see Linux share match the Windows XP/SP1 one (which actually should be "the same" of windows 7)
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If the percentages are the same, that means that Linux isn't losing any market share to Windows, but it's in fact climbing steadily as time progresses.

Maybe this is what they mean when they say Linux scales well, OH LA, WHAT A PUN! But seriously now, About 50 percent of the people I spend considerable time with use Linux, and many people switched in my college classes from watching me use it. Also, I know many people who I began describing Linux to, but were too doubtful or busy to try it. They all said they really wanted it, though. Thing is, many of these people didn't even see it- if they did they'd probably have begged for it.

Serously, no matter how good it is, when people see compiz or KDE 4 they just start foaming from the mouth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    Back when most people used dial-up, that was a major concern, but with always on connections, it is rare for someone to get a change in IP address. Most ISPs today have a longer expiration cycle, so even if your computer was down for a couple of days you will likely get the same IP address.

I've had the same IP, for the entire time, that I've used Comcast.
    OK, makes sense.

Beans

also what many don't take into consideration, and probably in the stats also. is the volume of linux servers that is out there for society. that poll was for personal computers by the look of it.
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by v1ad View Post
    also what many don't take into consideration, and probably in the stats also. is the volume of linux servers that is out there for society. that poll was for personal computers by the look of it.
    What?

Beans

Why are people concerned about market share? It doesn't matter at all. Nobody makes any money out of Linux 'market share'.

In any case, there are a lot more Linux systems out there than any other OS (mostly routers and cell phones). Each year, about 350 million new Linux devices are built. MS Windows is only the market leader in a small and unimportant market segment called 'desktop computing'. Linux is the leader in everything else.

IBM marketing estimated the Linux installed base at 2.2 billion a few years ago. I can't imagine what it is now, but a simple way to calculate it is to look at the sales of embedded processors and cell phones and multiply by 5 years.

Beans
    Distro

HermanAB, that's a good perspective to have. I think it's great if as many people as use desktop computers can find and make use of Linux as possible, but there is one more thing to note- market share doesn't say anything for the quality of a product.

Take Microsoft Windows for example. Need I even explain?

Although this thread is about the market share, I'd agree that it's ultimately a pointless debate until it comes to a commercial vendor trying to see if he'll make money supporting Linux. Other than that, it's just a pat on the back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I always thought it hovered at or around 1%! I'm fairly skeptical, doubt it's higher than 2 or 3% though, seeing as out of the people I know, I only know 2 who have ever heard of linux.
    I know 2 people who actually use linux. (Apart from me)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast