View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Pinguy OS

some people prefer to choose what customizations and extras to download
    by the way I never installed drivers with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Pinguy OS

Quote Originally Posted by cap10Ibraim View Post
    1.38 GB , No thanks
    all major oses today use Dvds(vista,7) and dual-layer dvds(mac osx)also there is hardly any diff in cost of a cd and dvd so cds are getting phased out

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alaukikyo View Post
    IS there a way i can remaster pinguy os 10.04.1.2 branded to include nexiuz easily?
    Also can you provide zsync files for pinguy os?
    ?

Beans

Well... lets give Ubuntu a reality check...

It's free - great

However out of the box, it still looks like a development of windows 2000. square edges, no glass effect, no aero-peak equivalent or other wow-factors.

For Ubuntu to beat windows in the enterprise, it has to be better, cheaper and be more compatible... a long way off

For Ubuntu to beat Apple or Windows in the consumer market, it has to look cool with a default install on a PC in the showroom/PCWorld/best-buy.

This is the first distro (except for conky - which is annoying being on top all the time) which competes with Windows 7 and Mac OSX out of the box.

GREAT WORK! I just wish it was called "Ubuntu for Humans Remix".

Constructive Critique:
    Conky stays on top at all times; this is terrible for efficient use of screen space. ideally it would be an app you would start occasionally unless you want it on all the time; i.e. most people looking for a nice pretty desktop arent interested in the techy details.

Please put the local menus back on windows... it makes no sense to separate the menus from the window... I know Apple does it, it doesnt make it right! four applications each taking a quarter of the screen, and without looking at which window has focus you have no real idea which menus you are activating... its the poorest UI element that I know of from Apple...

Remove controversial software, (skype especially).

Remove software that is restricted in some markets (VLC, libdvdread, x264)

I would have icons on the desktop to "install recommended proprietary software", and "install license-due media application" to make it as easy as possible to get these components back.

finally, it would be nice if it was CD sized, although this is less important with the continually falling media price and bootable usb sticks. maybe download pages should link to windows and linux software that will put an iso on a stick as a bootable device (without losing other data preferably).

I dont want to end on a bad note. In hte short time I have used it really genuinely think that you have produced the most polished linux distribution. welldone.
    R

Beans

I dont want to end on a bad note. In hte short time I have used it really genuinely think that you have produced the most polished linux distribution. welldone.
    While Pinguy OS may look nice and have additional applications and features that regular old Ubuntu may not have, it is not a distribution.

I'm not saying Pinguy OS is bad, but it's not really it's own OS, it's just Ubuntu with more applications and customization out of the box, like Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

It's a customized Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fableflame View Post
    While Pinguy OS may look nice and have additional applications and features that regular old Ubuntu may not have, it is not a distribution.

I'm not saying Pinguy OS is bad, but it's not really it's own OS, it's just Ubuntu with more applications and customization out of the box, like Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

It's a customized Ubuntu.
    that's a blurry line. What are the defining features of a distribution?

Debian is a distribution, so ubuntu is actually a customisation of that, no?

R

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by richard.e.morton View Post
    Well... lets give Ubuntu a reality check...

It's free - great

However out of the box, it still looks like a development of windows 2000. square edges, no glass effect, no aero-peak equivalent or other wow-factors.

For Ubuntu to beat windows in the enterprise, it has to be better, cheaper and be more compatible... a long way off

For Ubuntu to beat Apple or Windows in the consumer market, it has to look cool with a default install on a PC in the showroom/PCWorld/best-buy.

This is the first distro (except for conky - which is annoying being on top all the time) which competes with Windows 7 and Mac OSX out of the box.

GREAT WORK! I just wish it was called "Ubuntu for Humans Remix".
    I can't use the name Ubuntu in the Distro as it's not part of the Ubuntu official family.

Constructive Critique:
    Conky stays on top at all times; this is terrible for efficient use of screen space. ideally it would be an app you would start occasionally unless you want it on all the time; i.e. most people looking for a nice pretty desktop arent interested in the techy details.
    Conky once installed won't be on top all the time. It was because it took to long to boot from the disc. You can see what I mean here.

Please put the local menus back on windows... it makes no sense to separate the menus from the window... I know Apple does it, it doesnt make it right! four applications each taking a quarter of the screen, and without looking at which window has focus you have no real idea which menus you are activating... its the poorest UI element that I know of from Apple...
    This was done mainly because it was the best way to see all open windows/apps. If you click on the Global Menu it gives you a list of open apps.

Remove controversial software, (skype especially).

Remove software that is restricted in some markets (VLC, libdvdread, x264)

I would have icons on the desktop to "install recommended proprietary software", and "install license-due media application" to make it as easy as possible to get these components back.
    These "controversial software" was put on there for a reason. Most people don't care about their software they just want it to work. Adding all the restricted software packages makes Pinguy OS work out-of-the-box.

finally, it would be nice if it was CD sized, although this is less important with the continually falling media price and bootable usb sticks. maybe download pages should link to windows and linux software that will put an iso on a stick as a bootable device (without losing other data preferably).
    On the home page there is a link to buy the Pinguy OS on a DVD disc. They also offer it on a USB Flash drive if you ask them. I could easily set this up if the demand is there.

R
    Thank you. And I will bare in mind your ideas.
    Last edited by pinguy; October 4th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Patreon.com

Beans

that's a blurry line. What are the defining features of a distribution?

Debian is a distribution, so ubuntu is actually a customisation of that, no?

R
    No.
    It seems like all he did to make Pinguy OS is take an Ubuntu ISO and use Remastersys add his own features.

Beans

With regard to Ubuntu Remixes, see Mark Shuttleworth quotes in this text
    http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6581540510.html

and with whether it is or not a distro; there is no absolute definition.

I think you are trying to define a distribution if it compiles and distributes all the software themselves from source. I dont think this is a very good definition however. But this conversation would get very esoteric very quickly.

R

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Since the re-branding, Pinguy OS has been added to DistroWatch! Pinguy OS @ DistroWatch

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast