View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Pinguy OS

The review from LAS was positive for sure... so I could see some new interest for this distro. Personally it looks like it has way too much stuff installed out of the box for my liking. I prefer a more minimal install that I can build up myself, but that is just me.

The LAS review did bring up an interesting question though... what will the next Pinguy OS release be running for the DE? It currently uses Gnome2, so will it move on to Gnome3?
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I read in a official blog post that Mint will be keeping their "mint desktop" while going over to gtk3 (don't ask me to find it now though)

pinguy could do the same thing I guess, and yes I just wanted the LAS ep, it was very very favorable (quote you have to check this out), heck one of the presenters stated he is dumping his mint install in favor of pinguyOS

I have to admit I like the mint menu but prefer the Ubuntu software center so..... I might even give this a try myself down the road

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just tried it yesterday, June 12, 2011. It's really not too bad! Somethings may be a little over-simplified, but basically it seems sound. To it's credit, the Samba server is pretty much set up and running OTB. It also has a Conky as well! Mr. Pinguy, sir, if you read this I have a suggestion for your site. I know you want to make it easy to download, but with those 2 slideshows running the CPU load on this Intel Duo was about 80 to 100%. That's pretty high for the amount of time it takes to download even the torrent. Maybe move your download page to one without the slideshows. Other than that, Pinguy OS is on my shortlist for Ubuntu alternatives! One note, yes, it does have a lot of pre-installed software, but remember, this is designed for beginners so they have a basic working system. Sometime check out PCLinuxOS KDE Full Monty if you want to see pre-installed software!
    Last edited by athenroy; June 13th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Athenroy,
    Classic Desktop User - Screenshot
    Linux Registered User #534875

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

hi just trying this today the guys from the linux action show talked about it.

first thought looks good.

first problem i found the ati CCC admin wont launch,i have to edit the properties to use app in terminal to get it working.

also i still have the install pinguy OS CD icon even though the CD is not in the drive anymore and i have rebooted the PC.
    Last edited by camdy; June 13th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Questions:
    1. What are you planning to do for your next release in terms of DE - Gnome 3 Shell, Unity or XFCE?

2. If you're not planning to change to Gnome 3 fotr the next release, then when will you switch over to it?

3. Are you planning to have a lightweight version as well?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post

3. Are you planning to have a lightweight version as well?
    There is a mini version that fits on a CD. http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-pin...ni-11-04--1240
    If I wanted vertical space, I would have bought a square monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445