View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Pinguy OS

I agree, its a terrific accomplishment. It will serve the needs of lots of people. Just for yuks I went ahead and installed Debian Squeeze, the daddy of all Ubuntu(s). It's great. Very fast, very stable. It takes more fiddling, installing video drivers isn't as easy as Ubuntu for example. But it's worth the minimal effort. Rock on.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans

This is a great distro, put it on my son's computer and also my sister's, she live across the country and I had had her install Ubuntu 10.10 with plans to use mythbuntu for a media center. She called every day asking how to install or do something. Called her and told to to try this distro, the phone is finally quiet. This is one to give to someone who does not the time, knowledge, or will to customize their own setup. Heck I actually am considering changing over from Ubuntu, my son loves it. This is my number one recommendation now.

Beans

hello pinguy. please pardon me, but part of this post is a re-post from another forum, which i now don't remember.

pinguy, i LOVE pinguy OS more than any other linux. i have gotten it installed on a few friends computers, and i hope to keep singing the gospel of pinguy os, but i would like to make a recommendation. as far as branding goes, you need something instantly recognizable to people. apple is good in this respect in that, when you see an apple store/laptop, etc., the name's not even there, just an apple logo, which anyone can tell, is an apple.

now, the pinguy logo is what? looks line a sinewave with the chicken pox. it's not terrible, but no one can identify that as a brand. a profile of a pig on the other hand, recognizable, bat, recognizable, car, hammer, etc. these are easily identifiable things to people, and i think something like that would help the branding of this os quite a bit.

i think pinguy os is also an awkward name for a distro that i think has so much potential. this is definitely the greatest ubuntu remix yet, would you maybe consider giving it a different name? one that rolls off the tongue easier? or leave pinguy os, and make another clone, as an experiment, with a different name and logo? when i tried to right click the mint menu to get to prefs to change the menu icon/image, it doesn't work on my dell mini10v, but it did work on my girl's computer (lenovo ideapad s10-3t)

questions i have about the os/things i haven't been able to solve. how do a get rid of the startup sound? i've tried everywhere i thought it might be, but none of the options i've found to check disable startup sound work, and google hasn't helped either.

i also have not been able to get either skype or empathy to work right in video chat mode on either, or on skype, neither video nor audio, but i think that's a post for another thread, or more googling.

despite those few things which i have a problem with, i want to thank and congratulate you for creating the best linux distro out of the box. thanks for the awesome work on pinguy os. you rock!!

Beans

Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

I really like your distro except that you used 10.10 which seems to have a few issues with my system. But it certainly opened my eyes to the many possibilities available in Ubuntu.
    I have gone back to 10,04 but I'm slowly making it look more and more like the PINGUY OS. Great job and greatly appreciated.
    I did have a failing hard drive so that may have been the root of my system issues. But all in all I think Pinguy is the best implementation of Linux for a newbie I've seen.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Good Job with your distro. I replaced my two desktops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like the combination of light blue and pink in the logo on the website I was planning to install Lucid in my sisters laptop the next days, but I'll burn a copy of pingui instead, see how it works out.
    Meet me at the pier at midnight. We will stare out at the ocean one last time..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Pulprat View Post
    I really like your distro except that you used 10.10 which seems to have a few issues with my system. But it certainly opened my eyes to the many possibilities available in Ubuntu.
    I have gone back to 10,04 but I'm slowly making it look more and more like the PINGUY OS. Great job and greatly appreciated.
    I did have a failing hard drive so that may have been the root of my system issues. But all in all I think Pinguy is the best implementation of Linux for a newbie I've seen.
    Thanks.
    There is/was a Lucid version. You may want to check their web site as it may still be available.
    Last edited by DougieFresh4U; January 16th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It's good, but comes with programs and features that I don't want. And I find the gnome-panel sys monitors look ugly, I still end up having to mod. I still prefer giving a default Ubuntu and setting it up for newbies (and soon to be elementary OS).

Beans
    Hidden!

Your remaster of 10.10 is great. However, one major issue, when installing the installer crashes while trying to setup the home folder encryption. I've experienced this back in 10.04 as well. I have no problem with Ubuntu itself doing it. Pinguy OS thus far is the only Distro I've tried that does this to me, though not that big of a deal to me, if I need I'll use truecrypt but maybe a problem for newcomers who probably won't know why it crashed to begin with.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Why??

I don't understand why people won't use distros that are over 700MB. Once you install Java, flash. codecs, and extra drivers it's going to be close to 900MB anyway. So why is it such a big deal if the distro is bigger then 700MB, at least this way you know everything is going to work as it was built with all the extra stuff pre-installed and setup.

Imagine, an OS that works out of the box. Imagine, a linux that will install without broadband. I spent weeks downloading and getting Ubuntu to a working state a year ago. Over a week with Mint this year. Crunchbang -supposedly light-- took 14 hours just on downloading the initial update with my broadband light. This is not light. You are getting the gigs if you know it or not. I will also add: It isn't bloated if you will probably need it!! Bloat is leaving something essential out and forcing users to google, post, and download unneeded stuff to find that simple perfect one thing you do need.

I also like the fact restricted stuff is included. Again, you trying to just get stuff to work. Daggoneit, we will need to download and install it anyway. If not, then circular file the distro.

Two suggestions: 1. A multiple cd edtion. Isn't there a way to have users insert cd2 or 3? (I don't care if 14 cds that will save me 14 hours.) This is needed for old laptops with no dvd drive, no ethernet cat 5 and only broadcom wireless card. (DVDs are the future, in 5 years nearly all popular distros will be on dvd. But, my hardware is from the past, circa the year 4 bdvd .) If notm maybe a ubuntu to pinguy sh script? 2. How about a Linux Mint Debian Edition based version of pinguy, thus rolling. I cannot stomach the thought of upgrading any linux machine, since I intensely hate ever needing to reinstalling anything once set up.

I am not sure of the name Pinguy-Os. But, what do I know? I am still unsure a guy named Hussein can be elected President of the US.

--------
    PS. My mother loves her computer, because of her auto rotating webshots. Without this, she would never had a reason to turn on her quad core 8 gig of ram win 7 machine. So, I was excited to see such an animal included on the video review.... And I agree, no one I know in real life can get a handle on gimp. Only online people I know. So, if you found a replacement, that is great. I plan to spend a month, someday learning gimp, before I die, just not soon.
    Last edited by degarb; January 16th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast