View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

Very nice spin. I would have preferred Chromium over Firefox and the addition of Gnomenu but that's personal choice.

Overall though it seems to be very well done, I like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Very nice spin. I would have preferred Chromium over Firefox and the addition of Gnomenu but that's personal choice.

Overall though it seems to be very well done, I like it.
    I was thinking about using Chromium over Firefox but I still really like Firefox. Firefox to me is like a good old reliable drinking buddy that's always there for you. I just haven't got the heart to replace him yet.

Plus Chromium looks like a fisher price toy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Plus Chromium looks like a fisher price toy.
    That's about the dynamic of it. lol Plus I don't like google...

I downloaded your distro only to find out what I feared. My ancient machine won't support 64 bit. I was anxious to try TED, but to be honest I probably wouldn't have used most of the programs that were installed.

You get an A for effort tho.
    311 may be down with "the unity", but I am not.
    Anxiously waiting for Mint 11.

Asus G73 i7 Processor 6 GB RAM
    HP Media Center Pc 876x 1.5 GB Ram p4 2.4 ghz Processor

Beans

pinguy,

I've now tried it out under VMware Fusion. I think it's great. Both the selection of applications and the way they're presented to the user e.g. in the application menu are great. I haven't experienced a more solid selection focused on new Linux users.

Some minor remarks regarding my experiences:

First, does it make sense in the harddisk section of conky to list Root as well as Home if the Home directory resides in the root partition following the standard Pinguy OS installations settings?

Second, conky does not adjust its place on the desktop if I enlarge the virtual machine's window - i.e. if I adjust the monitor's resolution. (I haven't used conky on other installations yet. Therefore, I don't know whether my observation is specific to your configuration.)

Third, on the top menu bar, only the chat symbol is aligned right. Probably all icons starting with Webilder's one should also be aligned right, shouldn't they?

Eventually, if it was technically possible to hide the Desktop menu if only the desktop is shown, this might be easier for new Linux users (especially those not having used OS X before).

I hope these remarks are helpful. Your work is a really nice contribution. Thanks a lot!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cg0191 View Post
    Uh.. ramming 64bit OS down peoples throats is a big wank, unless you have huge datasets it achieves nothing except bragging rights amongst the preteen geeks.
    L - O - F'n - L

Freakin' hilarious post, thanks for the good laugh...

(edit didn't notice the poll) - I haven't tried it, but I like what I see in it. And to all the "too many apps I won't use", well, Ubuntu comes with a whole crap load of apps I find absolutely and utterly worthless. I spend a good week ripping out the crap and installing what I want after a fresh install - fspot, for example. Worthless app... (apologies to the developers).

BM
    Last edited by blur xc; July 13th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fellowweb View Post
    pinguy,

I've now tried it out under VMware Fusion. I think it's great. Both the selection of applications and the way they're presented to the user e.g. in the application menu are great. I haven't experienced a more solid selection focused on new Linux users.

Some minor remarks regarding my experiences:

First, does it make sense in the harddisk section of conky to list Root as well as Home if the Home directory resides in the root partition following the standard Pinguy OS installations settings?

Second, conky does not adjust its place on the desktop if I enlarge the virtual machine's window - i.e. if I adjust the monitor's resolution. (I haven't used conky on other installations yet. Therefore, I don't know whether my observation is specific to your configuration.)

Third, on the top menu bar, only the chat symbol is aligned right. Probably all icons starting with Webilder's one should also be aligned right, shouldn't they?

Eventually, if it was technically possible to hide the Desktop menu if only the desktop is shown, this might be easier for new Linux users (especially those not having used OS X before).

I hope these remarks are helpful. Your work is a really nice contribution. Thanks a lot!
    Thanks for your input. You are right about the aliment of the panel icons, that will have to be fixed.

I suppose Conky HD settings could be changed, but I really don't think it's much of an issue. The placement problem must be with running it in VMware as this does not happen running it on a PC.

The Desktop menu (gnome2-globalmenu) can't be changed in that way,and it's meant to be like that.

Thanks again for your input it's definitely food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blur xc View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I like what I see in it. And to all the "too many apps I won't use", well, Ubuntu comes with a whole crap load of apps I find absolutely and utterly worthless. I spend a good week ripping out the crap and installing what I want after a fresh install - fspot, for example. Worthless app... (apologies to the developers).
    I don't know if people think that the list of installed apps are installed along side the apps you already get with Ubuntu, because it's not. This Distro started life out as a MinimalCD and I added the programs I wanted on to that. That list is it, there isn't any f-spot, eog, evolution ect. What you see in the list is what you get.
    Last edited by pinguy; July 14th, 2010 at 02:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    This Distro started life out as a MinimalCD...
    Great approach, good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    mencoder is leaps and bounds better, even if it's just command line.
    I think you may have chosen the wrong Linux distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmmm. Sounds rather fun to be honest. I'll give it a spin sometime, and do a review
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Build a 32bit version of this and I will seriously give it a try (maybe a review) and if it is good start promoting this.

I say this because over my last three years in the Linux world I've found I generally have less issues with a 32bit OS than I do with a 64bit OS (Flash is a huge part of this). Plus I work in a school and in order to use the SMART board software I need a 32bit Linux install (they only compile 32bit autopack builds). Plus with a PAE kernel I can still have my 4+ gigs of RAM on a 32bit system.

Also - I see global menu in your screen shots but do not see it on the application's list. Is it included by default?

~Jeff

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast