View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Pinguy OS

Quote Originally Posted by yo2boy View Post
    I enjoyed it . Only con (for me) is the filesize. I have a slow internet connection and it takes forever to download at times.

Btw, is there going to be an update of Pinguy OS when 10.10 is released?
    The problem is, it's very hard to keep to 700MB if you want a fully working OS. I will always keep it under 1.4 GB so it can fit on a MiniDVD but there is no way that I am going to be able to get this on a 700MB CD and keep to the goals I have for Pinguy OS.
    Last edited by pinguy; September 9th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Patreon.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Just a question, how stable is this? More stable for beginners than Mint?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    This person thinks so.

Pinguy OS 10.04.1.2 is a stable release. I only have a small user base so there maybe some small bugs in it but overall it is ready for the masses.

You can read what other people have thought of it here:

Pinguy OS Review
    Two Linux Distros I Like
    Pinguy (if only in passing for me, I'll pass it along to you if you like!)

These are reviews for the older version:

Pinguy OS - Distro Review
    Pinguy OS (Remastered Ubuntu) - Ubuntu After A Week Of Customizations [Review]
    Distro Hoppin`: Pinguy OS
    Pinguy OS - Another Ubuntu Fork
    Last edited by pinguy; September 2nd, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Beans

Nice work Pinguy. It is one of the best looking distros out of the box out there. The UI is well thought out. However, I have a few misgivings:

1. AS a LiveDVD distro, why not include GIMP? It might be easy to sudo apt-get, but how about those with slow internet connection? Pinta just doesn't cut it. It's sadly lacking in features.

2. xSANE instead of Simplescan? Xsane supports more models of scanners than Simplescan and is a lot faster.

Just a question, Docky used to be a part of DO until recently when they separated as a fork. Can I remove DO without "killing" Docky? Two launchers is just too much.

Thanks again for your awesome creation.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ragadanga63 View Post

Just a question, Docky used to be a part of DO until recently when they separated as a fork. Can I remove DO without "killing" Docky? Two launchers is just too much.

Thanks again for your awesome creation.
    Yes you can, these are two different programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ragadanga63 View Post
    1. AS a LiveDVD distro, why not include GIMP? It might be easy to sudo apt-get, but how about those with slow internet connection? Pinta just doesn't cut it. It's sadly lacking in features.

2. xSANE instead of Simplescan? Xsane supports more models of scanners than Simplescan and is a lot faster.
    Before I released this I have been testing it for a couple of years on friends and family. Not one of them could work out how to use Gimp but had no problems with Pinta. There is only a small percentage of people that use computers for home use that would use Gimp.

Not including Gimp has nothing to do with keeping the size of the Distro down, it's more about having programs that pretty much anyone will be able to pick up and use. I don't want anything on there to scary/complicated looking for new user. New users are going to be unfamiliar with the system in the first place and having complicated looking programs on there are going to deter them away.

xSANE maybe the better program but Simplescan just works. All people really want it to do is scan the occasional document and Simplescan works fine for that and is much simpler to use. If you are someone that does a lot of scanning and Simplescan hasn't got the features you need then xSANE can be easily installed. Not many home users use their scanner. It's going to be a program that is rarely used.
    Last edited by pinguy; September 3rd, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ok, thanks for the reply. Instead of a DVD, I used my 2gb USB stick.

Anyway I forgot to ask why when I tried installing my wireless driver from Hardware Drivers, it fails all the time. This doesn't happen with Ubuntu at all when I try to install it from the LiveUSB.
    Last edited by yo2boy; September 4th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hy Pinguy,

I run Pinguy from a USB stick. When I used Ubuntu on stick, I had the persistence option, so I can save all my work (done with Universal USB Installer). But with Pinguy I don't have this option so I can't save anything.
    How can I have the persistent mode?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    I have been using Pinguy OS for just over two weeks on my Toshiba laptop and never had a problem.

Pinguy OS is the most stable OS I have ever used on this laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    The problem is, it's very hard to keep to 700MB if you want a fully working OS. I will always keep it under 1.4 GB so it can fit on a MiniDVD but there is no way that I am going to be able to get this on a 700MB CD and keep to the goals I have for Pinguy OS.
    So how exactly do you keep it under a specific size?
    Do you just build it with remastersys and check the size?
    If it is too big do you just take some stuff out and rebuild and check again?
    Or is there a better way of working out exactly what you need to remove?
    e.g.
    You are 200 MB over your set limit, can you see what is taking up 200 MB or do you have to decompress from squashfs and see what is taking up (say) 400 MB?

Beans
    Hidden!

Just done a screencast for anyone that wants to get an idea of what it's like to run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmvJAfUaDdM
    Last edited by pinguy; September 16th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast