View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

What I did here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=99

actually did the job well.

You're welcome, pinguy!

P.S. The knowledge that I gained installing Gentoo (a year ago) actually helped a little here. (:
    Last edited by extigyro; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Can you change this:

To this:

Code:
    wget http://www.webdevonlinux.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/locales.tar.gz
    in that last post so I can link to it in the main post so people will see how to fix it. You just use code instead of quote in the brackets.
    Last edited by pinguy; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Patreon.com

Beans

Smile Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

Hey, Pinguy. The first thing I like about your distro mod is, you've not re-branded it, if I'm not wrong. And the second - I can give this one to my friends who want to try out linux. This is 'Ubuntu' which works out-of-the-box, which is pretty cool for me. Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by firevas View Post
    Hey, Pinguy. The first thing I like about your distro mod is, you've not re-branded it
    Absolutely agree again.

I edited the post a minute ago. I hope it suits yo needs now.

I've noticed one more bug. The Skype control Helper in Docky does not function when Skype is started unless you close the Skype window and then reopen it.

Also the static version of Skype (which I personally prefer) cannot make use of this Docky helper. And I prefer the static version because you can change the font and its size through "qtconfig" (this is a thing that cannot be done with the ".deb" package of Skype anymore that resides in the Ubuntu Lucid repo or is downloaded from the Skype web-site).

Kind regards,
    Miro
    Last edited by extigyro; July 22nd, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

Great work pinguy!

I installed Ubuntu yesterday to do some webdev, and I was still installing extra softwares when I found your project. Now I'm downloading Pinguy OS and can't wait to give it a spin.

Cheers,
    Never get down. Look ahead for the possibilities. Power yourself with knowledge. Remember, what you seek is already within you, you just need to become aware of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by firevas View Post
    Hey, Pinguy. The first thing I like about your distro mod is, you've not re-branded it
    I agree. I like the fact that it is still branded as "Ubuntu".

However, I am not able to install this for some reason. I installed it in Virtual Box and played with it (it's nice).

I then attempted to install it twice and it failed both times. The first time I booted the live CD. And then started the installer from the desktop. The installer got about 80% through and then just disappeared.

The second attempt I started the installer directly. Again, halfway through it failed with an error about being unable to install and then booting into a live desktop to resolve the issue.

It's a shame because I'd really like to give it a go. Also, I'm able to successful install Ubuntu and Mint on this laptop so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pemadorje View Post
    I agree. I like the fact that it is still branded as "Ubuntu".

However, I am not able to install this for some reason. I installed it in Virtual Box and played with it (it's nice).

I then attempted to install it twice and it failed both times. The first time I booted the live CD. And then started the installer from the desktop. The installer got about 80% through and then just disappeared.

The second attempt I started the installer directly. Again, halfway through it failed with an error about being unable to install and then booting into a live desktop to resolve the issue.

It's a shame because I'd really like to give it a go. Also, I'm able to successful install Ubuntu and Mint on this laptop so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
    The way this sounds it could be a couple of things. The first would be there isn't enough space on the drive or a bad DVD burn.

If you have plenty of space on the HD try re-burning the image but at a slower speed and see if that helps. As you was able to install it in VirtualBox the image you downloaded must be fine and not corrupted.
    Pinguy OS uses just over 5GB when installed so anything under that is to small, you should give it at least 10 GB.
    Last edited by pinguy; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    The way this sounds it could be a couple of things. The first would be there isn't enough space on the drive or a bad DVD burn.

If you have plenty of space on the HD try re-burning the image but at a slower speed and see if that helps. As you was able to install it in VirtualBox the image you downloaded must be fine and not corrupted.
    Pinguy OS uses just over 5GB when installed so anything under that is to small, you should give it at least 10 GB.
    Thanks for the quick reply. In terms of hard disk space, I have plenty, 200 GB.

As for the DVD burn, I actually tested the DVD by using it for the Virtual Box install (in other words I didn't use the iso file but the actual DVD). So I think the DVD is ok. Also, I've tried with two different burned DVDs with the same result.

I just tried the installer once more from the live desktop.

According to the messages during the install process, the last step it completes before crashing is "creating user" at 82% in.

Beans
    Hidden!

@pemadorje

I am a bit stuck for ideas to be honest, the only other thing I would say is to try to use a different user name. I know pinguy and test and maybe even test2 won't work because these where user names I used when I was building it, but any other name will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried a few more times and got it to work. My last attempt had a different user name, host name, and I went without the encrypted home partition. I'm not sure which one of those it wasn't liking, but it's a bit odd.

Anyway, very nice work on this. Thank you.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast