Thread: Data Recovery of a Formatted Drive

Beans

Data Recovery of a Formatted Drive

Could I please have some recommendations for Data Recovery of a Formatted Drive. There are so many choices out there that I don't know which one I wanna use.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Data Recovery of a Formatted Drive

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE View Post
    Could I please have some recommendations for Data Recovery of a Formatted Drive. There are so many choices out there that I don't know which one I wanna use.
    Testdisk, available from the repositories is one possible option.

Here's a link to the CG Security site for step by step instructions --LINK--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by yetiman64 View Post
    Testdisk, available from the repositories is one possible option.

Here's a link to the CG Security site for step by step instructions --LINK--
    I second that.
    testdisk has helped me save quite a few friends' data after their hdds failed(and of course, they hadn't made any backups).
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 for testdisk - it should be able to retrieve your original partitions as they were prior to the format. If not, you will be able to get most, if not all the information back with photorec, which is part of testdisk - photorec can search for 100+ file types and reads the data off the raw hard drive and is thus, filesystem independent. In the repo's there is also a program called magicrescue that does much the same thing. If the filesystem was NTFS, you could use the ntfsprogs program, called ntfsundelete.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bumanie View Post
    +1 for testdisk - it should be able to retrieve your original partitions as they were prior to the format. If not, you will be able to get most, if not all the information back with photorec, which is part of testdisk - photorec can search for 100+ file types and reads the data off the raw hard drive and is thus, filesystem independent. In the repo's there is also a program called magicrescue that does much the same thing. If the filesystem was NTFS, you could use the ntfsprogs program, called ntfsundelete.
    It was a NTFS file system before I formatted the drive. Then I split the HD into 2 partitions. Then I made a XP partition and a Ubuntu partition. After I did that I realized I forgot some pictures that I was supposed to backup.