Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP EliteBook 8540w

Beans

Re: HP EliteBook 8540w

Quote Originally Posted by Priyantha Bleeker View Post
    Can someone please help me with getting my graphics up and running ?
    I have a Elitebook 8540w with a Nvidia Quadro FX1800 with a Dreamcolor(ips 10bit) display.
    And I get 'No screens found' errors in my /var/log/Xorg.5.log.

Hi. Try using a framebuffer. I struggled with no graphics on my 8540W(fx1800 / dreamcolor2) for four days!! and ended up in a framebuffer setup.

Steps

1) remove 'nomodeset' kernel setting if any (edit /etc/default/grub and update-grub2)
    2) apt-get install v86d
    3) use a minor xorg.conf looking like this;

Code:
    chralg@8ball:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf 
    # Minimal xorg.conf 
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Default screen"
            Driver          "fbdev"
    EndSection
    chralg@8ball:~$
    4) reboot

/Christofer

Beans

... forgot to mention that I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 and 2.6.38-3-generic (to get rid of the acpi bug).

Christofer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thx Chris. With this workaround I'm able to use the full resolution.

Just to mention it is necessary to install a newer kernel than the default (2.6.35.X). I installed a 2.6.38 and got it working with this kernel.
    Last edited by thwint; February 25th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
    I still haven't fixed the docking issue. I just deal with it by ejecting before sleeping, waking before docking.

The main issue with this computer has been terrible battery life. I have the QuadroFX 1800 and the i7-Q820. I barely get over an hour, even under light usage. I have not tried it under Windows but may just to separate hardware vs software issue. I am wondering if I have some type of hardware issue on the machine.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

James
    Um... it's a Core i7 with an nVidia Quadro FX card. This != good battery life. If you wanted battery life, you would not have gotten a desktop replacement laptop. Or, choose the Core i5. Personally, I have the Core i7QM version with the 880M. I have not tried to use it for an extended period on battery alone. I tend to think of the battery as more of a built-in UPS.

Michael
    ------------------------------
    Michael, geeky computer tinkerer extraordinairre

Beans

I have an HP DV6 and I can't get the Clickpad to work properly. I have seen workarounds, but either they don't work at all, or they leave gaping holes in functionality, like I can now double to to right click but not drag and drop.

Beans

Overall the Elitebook 8540w is the worst linux notebook I've ever had. Excessive power consumption and heat may be a current linux problem (unclear), but it is also plagued with random failures to suspend/resume. I can't stand resume failures but it seems like their bios is just buggy so it is unlikely there will be any workarounds at any point. I get around 10% resume failure.

My suggestion is if you want to run Linux buy a competing model... all of which seem to work perfectly.

James

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
    Overall the Elitebook 8540w is the worst linux notebook I've ever had. Excessive power consumption and heat may be a current linux problem (unclear), but it is also plagued with random failures to suspend/resume. I can't stand resume failures but it seems like their bios is just buggy so it is unlikely there will be any workarounds at any point. I get around 10% resume failure.

James
    Hi, were you able to solve the battery backup issue? It's terrible under Ubuntu 10.04.
    I barely get an hour of backup. And also the laptop gets very HOT!

BTW, I get more than 2 and half hours of battery back up for Win7 on the same machine!

Beans

Nope... never fixed it. Machine still uses gobs of power. It seems that not enough people use this notebook (especially under Linux) to care about it (HP included). According to some sources the issues stem from bios bugs which of course are worked around under Windows.

Very well made machine... it just sucks under Linux.

James

Beans

I have found that power consumption is improved somewhat with Ubuntu 11.10. The updated powertop in the new release also enabled me to identify some power consumption issues (webcam was using a lot of power, etc). I can now get around 90 minutes... better.

Suspend/resume still sucks on this notebook though, and lately it has been hard crashing every day or two. I definitely will not buy an HP again.

James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12