Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Holidays means CODING.

Beans

Re: Summer Holidays means CODING.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifAndersen View Post
    @sppons, oh, I also forgot to mention, even though it's much easier to make programs in languages such as python (seeing as (imo) python is effectively runnable pseudocode), python does have it's place. In places where speed isn't crucial (unless you're using python libraries made in C, those count as C, even though you're using a python interface. ), python is very good, especially in today's world where rapid development is very important.
    Well I understand Blender uses Python for it's scripts and things, and 3D modelling is quite interesting.

I'd like to make a command line program that can compress files with zlib. but with an unpacker built in. But that's advanced for now - I need to learn my pointers and mallocs first!
    Last edited by spoons; July 15th, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I, too, am programming this summer (doing some right now). And I'm also trying to learn more languages.

I am also trying to make a game, however, I'm using Java to do it. I've studied Java for 2 years, and I know it pretty well. Plus, I like to code using Eclipse in Ubuntu, but I'll be giving the game to people who use Windows, so it should be cross-platform anyway.

I'm also trying to learn Python. I bought a book on Python at a discount book store that looks at example projects and breaks them down. I'm also using a website called CodingBat to practice the basics. So far, so good.

I agree with you about stricter languages. Java is quite strict and I prefer that to Python's "freeness". Heck, you don't even have to declare what type your variables are going to be. That's just messed up.

I want to learn C, but haven't found any good books for learning it. There are tons of C++ and C# books, but few on C. My cousin took a C class at college last year while I was taking my Java class. He's professed some interest in Java, so I'm hoping that he and I an get together and teach each other what we know.

By the end of college, I want to be fluent in Java, Python, and C and then I want to learn some Perl and Ruby. Not so crazy about Assembly, but if I really like C, I might try to learn some of that as well.

Basically: Coding is fun. End of story.
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chessnerd View Post
    I, too, am programming this summer (doing some right now). And I'm also trying to learn more languages.

I am also trying to make a game, however, I'm using Java to do it. I've studied Java for 2 years, and I know it pretty well. Plus, I like to code using Eclipse in Ubuntu, but I'll be giving the game to people who use Windows, so it should be cross-platform anyway.

I'm also trying to learn Python. I bought a book on Python at a discount book store that looks at example projects and breaks them down. I'm also using a website called CodingBat to practice the basics. So far, so good.

I agree with you about stricter languages. Java is quite strict and I prefer that to Python's "freeness". Heck, you don't even have to declare what type your variables are going to be. That's just messed up.

I want to learn C, but haven't found any good books for learning it. There are tons of C++ and C# books, but few on C. My cousin took a C class at college last year while I was taking my Java class. He's professed some interest in Java, so I'm hoping that he and I an get together and teach each other what we know.

By the end of college, I want to be fluent in Java, Python, and C and then I want to learn some Perl and Ruby. Not so crazy about Assembly, but if I really like C, I might try to learn some of that as well.

Basically: Coding is fun. End of story.
    If you want to learn C, there's this book called C For Dummies: All In One Desk Reference by Dan Gookin. I've got it and it's a great book. About 700 pages of lessons. It eases you in really well. Made slightly more to the American market than the British with pounds and feet (for some of the examples) so I guess it's right up your street! I've not got that far through it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Who knows you guys, you might see contributions of mine in Ubuntu one day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    If you want to learn C, there's this book called C For Dummies: All In One Desk Reference by Dan Gookin. I've got it and it's a great book. About 700 pages of lessons. It eases you in really well. Made slightly more to the American market than the British with pounds and feet (for some of the examples) so I guess it's right up your street! I've not got that far through it, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    The online reviews seem to agree with you. I've generally found the Dummies books to be useful, and if the book is good enough for you, it's good enough for me.

I had seen this book at Barnes and Noble a few times, but the $35 price tag deterred me. However, I was able to find it cheaper online. I'll probably order it.

Stick with it and I'm sure we will.

As a famous starship captain once said to a Mintakan who dreamed of her people becoming space-fairing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Picard
    Of that I have absolutely no doubt.
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@chessnerd (love the nick by the way): If you want a book to learn C...you've got to get K&R (also called "The C Programming Language"), unless you're trying to build a C compiler, it's by far the best C book out there. (The only reason I didn't recomend it to spoons is because it's not meant as a first language book. It works as a second language book, even if it's a language in a completely different area, but it's a bit steep for your very first language. As for Java vs. python...there are advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of java's strict, strongly typed system is that it's secure (secure in the sense that you're much less likely to make a mistake), but on the other hand, pythons strong duck typed system is fast to make. Which suites me well for what I'm doing at the moment.

@spoons. Yup, blender's API is python, although 'most' of the API was written in C. (At least the 2.5x library is, I haven't delved much into the 2.4x library). I'm actually building regression tests for blender at the moment...
    Did you enjoy this rant? You can find more at:
    http://www.leifandersen.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeifAndersen View Post
    If you want a book to learn C...you've got to get K&R (also called "The C Programming Language")
    Ah! I was trying to remember the name of that book... Mostly the K&R part... thanks, Leif!

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been tinkering with a little bit of coding too, mainly PHP for my website, and discovered that PHP's strstr() function works a bit differently to what I was expecting.

Speaking of assembler, I'd suggest mastering the basics of a higher-level language first. And yes, I have seen a 32-bit version of MASM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why only summer holidays? Living means coding.

What kind of game do you plan on making?
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans

Allegro is a nice library for writing games in C. Either that, or SDL.

Eventually you'll need to learn C anyway, so I think its a good choice. Plus, it will make you appreciate python and other higher level languages more in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by chessnerd View Post
    Heck, you don't even have to declare what type your variables are going to be. That's just messed up.
    I can see a flame-war coming on.

I'd like to point out that, for most Ubuntu contributions, Python is recommended.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast