Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: computer store

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: computer store

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    I've purchased from both of these sites before. The first sells reasonably priced Ubuntu systems. The second one pushes Windows only software, however, during the ordering process there is an option to purchase the system without Windows, it generally knocks about $100 off the price.

http://www.eightvirtues.com/

http://www.tpi-us.com/categories.php
    Great links. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Acutally, System76's Meerkat IonTop looks pretty nice, and it's cheap.

Beans

You can get a more speccy system (same processor, more RAM, same ION graphics, a little less hard drive space) called the Zotac Mag. It's $100 less than the cheapest ION Nettop configuration at System76, and the hard drive is empty. I put Ubuntu 10.04 on mine, and although installing packages from the DVD was a bit confusing (noob, no built-in DVD drive), after getting the nVidia drivers loaded it's been smooth sailing.

The Zotac MAG is available at Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Clone:
    Pretty Case + Power supply = $100
    Keyboard, Mouse = $25
    DVD-RW = $25
    3GB RAM = $75
    MoBo + CPU = $100
    500GB HDD = $50
    Cardreader = $25

That's $400 without Windows. You might be able to shave that down to $350, but probably not.
    i have reason to be very skeptical of those numbers.

that was for my sister, for school work. would also be perfectly adequate for basic office tasks.

USD $250, tigerdirect. would have been cheaper had my sister told me she wanted wifi while i was still digging around online, and not the day she came buy to pick it up. that was a few months ago, btw.

re: no dvd drive -- one external USB optical drive per household.
    Last edited by earthpigg; July 9th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    re: no dvd drive -- one external USB optical drive per household.
    Indeed, very handy to have. I used one when setting up the Zotac, it was just a bit of fuddling around to get the disc listed as a software repository (the DVD mounted, and I had the DVD drive ticked, but it wouldn't go until I used the file method instead of cdrom).

Beans

barebones kit - case, psu, mobo, cpu, 2gb ram - $170
    cpu fan - $15
    hard drive - 500gb 7200 rpm - $40

Total - $225, before taxes and whatnot.

that was a quick little 10 minutes. i would do a bit more homework before hitting the 'purchase' button.

comparable to $400 from dell.com. cheapest one i just came across had more RAM but a lower tier CPU. again, do more homework before hitting 'purchase'.

assume you feel that the basic 1 year Dell warranty has a 'value' of $100, and you would still be better off with one of those barebones kits.

assume you are unable or unwilling to play legos and assemble the parts yourself and must pay someone $50-$100 to do it, and we are approaching the point where dell.com makes more sense than assembling it yourself.

as we can see, the greater value depends on the human factor.

-do you value a one year warranty on a $400 purchase at $100, even considering that you may need to lie to Dell about installing Linux in order to keep the warranty valid?
    -are you unable/unwilling to assemble it yourself?
    -does a $30 optical drive for each individual computer make more sense to you than a single $50 USB optical drive per household?

if the answer to all three of those is "yes", it may make more sense to go with a major computer assembler such as dell or hp.

i think people to often equate assembling a desktop computer to being a car mechanic - assuming it takes a great deal of training and whatnot. it doesn't.

the comparable skill required is about on par with changing the oil in a car. an hour or so (high estimate) on youtube, and you are qualified. picking the parts is the only tricky part, and for that we have the "hardware & installation" support forum.
    Last edited by earthpigg; July 9th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Computers with no software on are rare, but you can find many with Linux pre-installed for cheaper prices than an MS computer. Someone made a post not long ago about their new UK Linux-PC company, Marvin.

EDIT: Scrap that, those computers are way overpriced.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; July 9th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123