Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposal Two base Ubuntu installs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Proposal Two base Ubuntu installs

I know this had been talked about before, but I have a new idea here (which may or may not have been discussed), anyway, this is JUST SPECULATION, and I don't really expect anyone at Cannonical to listen (not that they're stuck=up... More like the fact that they're too busy to read forums all day )

Here's my idea...

Relegate Ubuntu to two differnt distros..

1) n00buntu -- a flavor of Ubuntu designed to serve the new user. The install would be graphical, and the partitioner would be easier to use for the absolute n00b. Otherwise, this version would be exactly the same as regular Ubuntu.

2) pr0buntu --A flavor of Ubuntu that has an expanded installer, allows whatever flavor of ubuntu to be installed (at setup you choose from Kubuntu, xUbuntu, plain 'old ubuntu and any other flavors that may come down the pike), allows one to select what packages to be installed, and allows for advanced hardware config at setup time. For obvious reason, this version of ubuntu would be only for people with broadband internet connections.

What do you think about this idea?
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Proposal Two base Ubuntu installs

I protest. 2) is too close to pr0nbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I protest pr0nbuntu. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

But seriously, one of Ubuntu's strengths is the 1 CD ISO image...stop trying to make it more. If you don't like it, customize it. I'm very much of the opinion that if I want something just the way I like it, I have to do it myself. Give a workable base system, and I'll tweak from there. Just don't bloat it with every feature known to man...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

It would be nice if the DVD for Ubuntu allowed you to install the regular/KDE/XFCE version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

The main reasons I thought of this are...

1) There are currently too many branches of Ubuntu currently offered, or being developed, and it would be nice to get this down to two different adaptable distros, and

2) I had a boring drive into work this morning. (with the exception of the cop clocking people, but I wasn't stopped, so its all good )
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

2) is too close to pr0nbuntu
    And y'know, if there were a little distro called pr0nbuntu, with some all but nekkid cafe-au-lait colored chick as the default desktop, and a buttload of pr0nsites prebookmarked in the browser, it would become a very popular distro.

Actually, anybody who wants to try this as a viral marketing idea has my blessing.

(Just please make an easy to read, unmistakable install setting that gives lecherous straight women, gay men, and bisexuals a choice of having the sort of desktop and sites sites that we would like. [Eg Which do you prefer: Naked Women? Naked Men? Both?].)
    ---
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Beans
    Hidden!

every version of ubuntu is "noob" friendly so i dont see the need for #1

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu already is two different distros:

"economy" and Impi...

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Here's my idea...

Relegate Ubuntu to two differnt distros..

1) n00buntu -- a flavor of Ubuntu designed to serve the new user. The install would be graphical, and the partitioner would be easier to use for the absolute n00b. Otherwise, this version would be exactly the same as regular Ubuntu.
    Sounds like Dapper's "Espresso Installer." The devs must have read your mind!

2) pr0buntu --A flavor of Ubuntu that has an expanded installer, allows whatever flavor of ubuntu to be installed (at setup you choose from Kubuntu, xUbuntu, plain 'old ubuntu and any other flavors that may come down the pike), allows one to select what packages to be installed, and allows for advanced hardware config at setup time. For obvious reason, this version of ubuntu would be only for people with broadband internet connections.
    Sounds like a server install. You do a server install and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and you get your Kubuntu. Same thing for Xubuntu, except that in Breezy you need to enable extra repositories for that. According to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ you won't have to for Dapper.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    every version of ubuntu is "noob" friendly so i dont see the need for #1
    Have you seen the partitioner? The first time I tried using it, I wiped my XP partition off. The wife withheld sex for weeks afterwards!
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast