Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink noise generator for maverick?

Beans

Pink noise generator for maverick?

It seems that everything in the repos either relies on jack audio, which I can't get to work on my system (jnoise and japa), or crashes on startup (gnusound). Before Maverick, I was using a program I found on the internet, but Maverick seems to have removed the support for OSS which that program relied on. There must be a pink noise generator that works with pulseaudio...but I just can't find it.

Beans

Re: Pink noise generator for maverick?

If you can't find anything - Don't know how you start/run your previous app but you could try prepending it's launch command or in a terminal w/ -
    padsp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Pink noise generator for maverick?

I felt bad for you, so I wrote you a pink noise generator in Java just now. Where can I send you a jar file?

Beans

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If you can't find anything - Don't know how you start/run your previous app but you could try prepending it's launch command or in a terminal w/ -
    padsp
    Tried that--the app crackles unpleasantly if run with padsp.

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tf0wl View Post
    I felt bad for you, so I wrote you a pink noise generator in Java just now. Where can I send you a jar file?
    Can't you attach it here? Make sure you include the source or I'm not going to run it

Though it would be even better if you could get your code into the repos--people shouldn't have to write programs whenever they find they need them.

Beans
    Distro

That should do it. That's what I threw together on a kick. You should be able to do plenty with it if you read the code. Java is pretty nice.

Have fun!

Edit:
    I should mention: you'll be best served to run that in a terminal, as there is no GUI for what I put together here. You should be easily able to add GUI to start and stop it and be able to adjust certain parameters to your liking. Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by idi0tf0wl; December 6th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Pink noise generator for maverick?

OK, so I had a bit of free time just now and for some reason decided to use it to throw together a UI for that little pink noise generator I wrote you. Source code's still all there, too, so have no fear.

I really don't have any need for a pink noise generator, though, so don't expect me to ever touch this again. If it works for you (perhaps albeit imperfectly) and you want to make it able to do more things or give it to more people, that's all on you.

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I can't get it to work. Your GUI shows up and I can enter values, but no sound is played. Other apps can play sound just fine, so I know it's not my system. However, I don't have enough java audio experience to fix the code.

Clicking to stop throws an exception:

Code:
    SEVERE: pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask@10cbd8dc failed: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2730
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2730
            at pinknoisegui.StdAudio.play(StdAudio.java:100)
            at pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask.doInBackground(PinkNoiseGUIView.java:293)
            at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
            at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Dec 13, 2010 11:25:22 PM org.jdesktop.application.Task failed
    SEVERE: pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask@758689a failed: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by leptogenesis View Post
    I can't get it to work. Your GUI shows up and I can enter values, but no sound is played. Other apps can play sound just fine, so I know it's not my system. However, I don't have enough java audio experience to fix the code.

Clicking to stop throws an exception:

Code:
    SEVERE: pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask@10cbd8dc failed: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2730
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2730
            at pinknoisegui.StdAudio.play(StdAudio.java:100)
            at pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask.doInBackground(PinkNoiseGUIView.java:293)
            at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
            at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Dec 13, 2010 11:25:22 PM org.jdesktop.application.Task failed
    SEVERE: pinknoisegui.PinkNoiseGUIView$PlayTask@758689a failed: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
    Oh it works for me... Pink noise will play if you enter nothing. For the alpha level you have to be sure you're not entering a value between 0 and 1 - any decimal value will work. Will it play with blank input fields?

Beans

Ah, I see. If I run the app in netbeans no sound plays, but if I just run it via java -jar the sound works. That's fine by me.

However, it still doesn't sound quite right. It's okay for values between 0 and 1, but those alpha values aren't red enough for me. I'd like it if it worked for alpha=2. When I try alpha around 1.5 it sounds a bit like tearing paper, and when I try alpha=2 I get random clicks and pops. Printing the actual values being piped to the sound card, I find that the values are diverging. The odd sounds, then, must be due to oversampling.

With alpha=2, I see that the multipliers array ends up being all zero except for one -1 value for the first entry. This means the output is equivalent to a sum of gaussians of equal variance. Nothing is decaying. I think you have a formula wrong in here somewhere...

EDIT: No wonder:

Quote Originally Posted by Kasdin (1995)
    The process defined by (97) is nonstationary (for alpha > 1) and self-affine...
    So this code can't be plugged directly into your GUI to get red noise unless you're okay with alpha less than or equal to 1.

EDIT 2: Swapped out the original filter for a plain old Gaussian low-pass filter and now it does what I want. Thanks for all your help idi0tf0wl!
    Last edited by leptogenesis; December 15th, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I misposted. It was indeed built to take an alpha of up to two, as you discovered. I'm very pleased to hear you now have what you were looking for! Could you please post your changes back up here so I (and perhaps even others) can study it?

I don't need pink noise, but knowing the best way to make it happen is nice.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast