Thread: Printer spams

Beans

Printer spams

Hello! My problem is:
    I have a Hp LaserJet 4250 installed on a XP network (and this I cannot change). I also have a computer that runs Ubuntu 10.04 and I need to print from that computer also. All the XP running computers print without problems but the Linux one spam the task. For example: If I try to print a test page from Ubuntu, will print that page over and over again until U physically cancel the task from the printer. It does not stop the respective queue even if it runs out of paper .
    Can anyone please tell me what may cause this problem?

PS: I have run a troubleshot from the CUPS menu and there I got the following answer:
    "There is no obvious solution to this problem"
    and has generated a report that is to long for me to post here but I will if anyone deems to be necessary.

Tank you in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Printer spams

I am not sure if I would call that "spam"

Check your printers configuration.
    System-> Administration-> Printing, right click on the printer, select properties. Select job options. What number is next to "copies"?

Beans

The number is 1 to copy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How about Policies, Error Policy. If you switch that to abort job or stop printer what happens? I don't know much about those two options, I would try abort job first.

Beans

First of all I would like to thank you for your advices but unfortunately it did not work.
    I have changed the error policy to cancel jobs and it still spams. After that I have tried stop.
    I`ve tried a 2 page test and it prints only the first page over and over again until canceled from the printer menu. This I`ve tried with and without the "collate" option from the OpenOffice printing menu. Same result.

Any ideas? Please?

Thank you so much!

Beans

I have also installed Ubuntu 10.04 on another computer in the same network and has the same problems with the printer (same printer). This suggests to me one of two things:
    - either I have installed Ubuntu wrong on both systems which I highly doubt it (I may be NOOB to Ubuntu but not to computers in generally) and both Ubuntu sys are up to date with the updates.
    - or, there may be something wrong with the native printer server but this is only in regard to Ubuntu because all the XP systems work just fine. (The printer is on a stand alone IP adress on the network and has it`s own managing system) which does not get along very well with Ubuntu so far.

My question is: Is this an Ubuntu issue which probably can be solved, or is it a firmware problem of the printer and I should probably drop it?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Kreazulle; July 8th, 2010 at 12:09 PM.