Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real name on the forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Real name on the forums?

I notice today, that Blizzard will be restricting their forums to folks registering with their real first and last names.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...rums?art_pos=2

I personally would not post to these forums were they to apply the same rule. how do you all feel about it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Real name on the forums?

I'd just use a fake name. I have an email address with a fake first and last name that I use to register for websites that I know will spam me.

I have a feeling Blizzard is going to find out that a lot of their fans have the same names as their characters.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yeah, I don't really like that. One of the major reasons people are attracted to forums and other such things on the internet is the anonimity associated with it. Sure, less anonimity could mean less trolling (although I kind of doubt it), but trolling isn't really that difficult to deal with.

Beans

i would never create an account there.
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A lot of forums do that, it makes total sense to me. If people use their real names, they will behave. Why Blizzard does that, I wonder, though. It's not like people are discussing serious things on their forums...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    A lot of forums do that, it makes total sense to me. If people use their real names, they will behave.
    I disagree, I know plenty of people who act more civilized online than they do in their day to day lives. I don't think people not knowing your name makes a huge difference in that respect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i hate the concept of revealing my real id at all
    DELL XPS m1530, Intell core 2 duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz, 4gig ram, 8600GTm

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    I'd just use a fake name. I have an email address with a fake first and last name that I use to register for websites that I know will spam me.

I have a feeling Blizzard is going to find out that a lot of their fans have the same names as their characters.
    You cannot change the name under your Battle.net account without a notarized legal document stating the change of your name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see my real identity a lot like the CC2 code on the back of credit cards. they are there to truly identify me in a pinch, when dealing with very important stuff.

The problem is though, the more you use either, the less secure and reliable they become. the more often they are transmitted, the more likely somone will mess up and comprimise them.

These items are supposed to be last ditch measures only to be used in extreme cases, not every time i order a pizza.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yarui View Post
    I disagree, I know plenty of people who act more civilized online than they do in their day to day lives. I don't think people not knowing your name makes a huge difference in that respect.
    Trust me. if everyone uses the real identity on the internet board, the amount of flaming war will be cut in half.
    Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast