Thread: iPhone podcasting category

Beans

iPhone podcasting category

Hi, I'm relatively new to Ubuntu. I installed the latest LTS release and am so impressed that I'm going to leave Windows for it.

I have the following question concerning podcasts on the iPhone:

Is there a way to set podcasts up so they will show up in the podcast category of my iPhone?

Some background information:

- I download my podcasts through Google Reader (I'm on slow broadband, and that allows me to use a good download manager).
    - I'm well aware of ID3 tags. Just adding the tag 'podcast' or 'Podcast' as a standard Genre tag will not work.
    - On Windows, I used foobar2000 with 'foo dop' extension. That has a specific feature (I believe it's called iPod tags) that allows one to set the iTunes/iPod/iPhone specific tags (podcast, audiobook, tv-show, ...).
    - The advantage of having podcasts recognized as such is threefold: their status as new/listened to is remembered by the iPhone; the last position is remembered; they can be deleted from the iPhone
    - I tried setting with Rythmbox, but that does not appear to support this.
    - Information I found on this forum doesn't appear to answer this conclusively.

Any information?

Beans

Re: iPhone podcasting category

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If you set up your podcast feeds (you need to use mp3, as ogg is not supported by the iPhone) in Rhythmbox, then drag and drop to the iPhone, it works perfectly. The "album" art even shows, which is a LOT more than I can say for iTunes...
    Currently happily running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 / Xubuntu 16.04 and Xenial Puppy...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

OH, and if you need to use the google downloader, a workaround would be to get the same feed setup in rhythmbox, get a single episode downloaded (overnight maybe for video), and then copy or move the individual episodes to the same folder you use in Rhythmbox.

By default, it just uses the "music" folder in the Home directory, but that is easily changed. I use a folder I made called "Podcasts", that is also in the Home directory myself.
    Currently happily running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 / Xubuntu 16.04 and Xenial Puppy...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash858 View Post
    OH, and if you need to use the google downloader, a workaround would be to get the same feed setup in rhythmbox, get a single episode downloaded (overnight maybe for video), and then copy or move the individual episodes to the same folder you use in Rhythmbox.

By default, it just uses the "music" folder in the Home directory, but that is easily changed. I use a folder I made called "Podcasts", that is also in the Home directory myself.

This is very helpful. Thank you. I'll try it as soon as I'm home.
    Do you know if it would be necessary to download an episode for each of the different streams, or will one in general do the work?