Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing the Tor program and getting the setting right

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing the Tor program and getting the setting right

Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    Would that be the Comcast business gateway?
    No, it's a generic router IP. May I suggest you Google your router's make/model for info; or if Comcast owns it, contact them.

Beans

Question: Where do I get Privoxy program of which you speak, GSF 1200S ?

Post Script: It appears you have a lightening fast machine with massive memory.

Beans

The instructions at http://maketecheasier.com/install-tor-in-ubuntu do not work for me.

When I enter: sudo sh-c 'echo "deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org Ubuntu main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

I get the reply: sudo: sh-c: command not found

If I enter: it with "ubuntu lucid" as the distro version I get the reply: bash: /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied

Also, in my Vidalia settings it is looking for the Tor software in /usr/sbin/tor, which does not exist. How do I create it there?

PS, I'm a total noob and I'm not so good with computers in general. I failed QBASIC in highschool and Java in college. So you're going to have to talk to me like I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by MacFall; September 13th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

Ok, I got Tor to install, and Vidalia has located it. However, when I try to run Tor through Vidalia, I get this message:

Vidalia detected that the Tor software exited unexpectedly. Please check the message log for recent warning or error messages.
    The message log has this to say:
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Notice] Tor v0.2.1.26. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Linux i686)
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.13-stable using method epoll. Good.
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Warning] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address already in use. Is Tor already running?
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Warning] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
    Sep 14 14:15:51.013 [Error] Reading config failed--see warnings above.
    If I try to kill the existing Tor process and let Vidalia open its own, the terminal returns "Operation not permitted."
    This is perturbing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12