Thread: Connecting to Samba server with Ubuntu (no issues using windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Connecting to Samba server with Ubuntu (no issues using windows)

I have two servers, both with almost (different shares) identical samba server configurations.

Server 1, works fine. I can connect with Windows 7 and I can connect using 'Places > Network' in Ubuntu 10.04

Server 2 is funny. I can connect with Windows 7 but I can not connect using 'Places > Network' in Ubuntu 10.04

Until recently, I was able to access Server 2's samba shares with 'Places > Network' in Ubuntu 10.04 but without warning it started spitting the 'Failed to mount' error at me.

I am guessing this is a server problem (even though server 1's smb.conf is the same up to defining shares) as I have tried from multiple clients running Ubuntu 10.04, all of which fail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connecting to Samba server with Ubuntu (no issues using windows)

You might wanna try in command line. Here's the one I use and always works great for me:

Code:
     sudo mount -t smbfs //some_pc/share_name /home/my_user/some_folder/ -o username=windows_username
    Then the prompt asks for your Windows password. This may not be your long term solution, but it might help you trouble shoot the problem.

Beans

If the only thing that's different between Server1 and Server2 ( except the name ) is the share definitions then why not post Server2's shares:

Code:
    testparm -s
    I don't know what could possibly be in a share definition that allows a Windows client access but not a Linux client, but ...........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Saorex View Post
    You might wanna try in command line. Here's the one I use and always works great for me:

Code:
     sudo mount -t smbfs //some_pc/share_name /home/my_user/some_folder/ -o username=windows_username
    The above (noted in red) will cause problems with later Windows shares. You shuld use cifs
    instead.

Then the prompt asks for your Windows password. This may not be your long term solution, but it might help you trouble shoot the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    The above (noted in red) will cause problems with later Windows shares. You shuld use cifs
    Really? Thanks for letting me know. I'll do some reading...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Saorex View Post
    Really? Thanks for letting me know. I'll do some reading...
    You can start here.