Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good MS Paint-like program?

Beans

Re: A good MS Paint-like program?

I'm working on one called Congo Paint actually. It's nearing the point where I would call it Alpha, and I haven't set it up to be easy to install/use yet. In a few months it should be good to go though .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I've tried a few and settled on kolourpaint.

Works fine in gnome and installs easily from Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I like kolourpaint best too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Why somebody would like something similar to MS Paint in linux too ?, when there's so many software that already does the basics and even more.
    Debian rulz but Ubuntu it's alright either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

What was wrong with Krita ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you can just use the real paint, since it works perfectly in wine. You can easily install it through winetricks. Assuming you already have wine installed run this...

Code:
    wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks && sh winetricks mspaint
    Still, it looks ugly and doesn't fit in, plus it's usually better to run native apps, so if you find one that does what you need I encourage you to use that instead

Beans

Actually I was thinking about a program that could do with some spriting / pixel art, and I think The Gimp is simply that too ..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    'mypaint' is worth a look. in the repos for Lucid.
    Not really. MyPaint is a program aimed at people with graphics tablets, such as professional painters and others who like to paint, rather than people wishing to do simple pixel art or basic image manipulation. Or as they describe it.

"MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it."
    - http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

It is a great program and I use it myself, but I would not recommend it unless you have a graphics tablet and want it in order to paint. So in this case, it is out of the scope of what is wanted here. Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by I'mGeorge View Post
    Why somebody would like something similar to MS Paint in linux too ?, when there's so many software that already does the basics and even more.
    Because most of the software I've seen out there is either an Adobe Photoshop, (etc.), wannabe, (too complicated for trivial tasks), or it can't find it's own *** with both hands and a map.

My situation:
    I took a screenshot that included a GParted window, (that I wanted to capture), and all I wanted to do was open up the screen-shot, cut the GParted window out of it, open a new "picture", paste the cut image into it, and save it.

(I have to jump through these hoops because the current "take screen shot" application is about as useful as Teats on a Boar Hog.)

In MS Paint, this is trivial.

In Gpaint, I could not even find a "selection" tool that would allow me to select the region I wanted to capture.

My ultimate solution? I saved the screen-shot to my file server, went to a Windows box, opened it in Paint, and did what I wanted to do.

It took me less time to do that than it took me to find and install Gpaint, try, grow frustrated with, try again, grow frustrated even more, (several more iterations), and then give it up as a bad deal all around.

And not for nothing, I really don't want to waste time effing around with installing, playing with, un-installing, (etc.), every doggone Linux "paint" program in the repos, just to see if it can do a basic image cut-and-paste.

And for the KDE fanboys, I'm not knocking KDE, I'm sure it's a wonderful desktop environment. However, I'm currently running Gnome, (or whatever Ubuntu calls their desktop in 10.04), and I really don't like trying to install one stinkin' program and have it drag in darn near the entire KDE desktop as dependencies just to run it. . . .

It's like Apple. You want to hook up an iPhone, or install iTunes, on a Windows box, and it drags in darn near an entire Apple O/S as dependencies.

What say ye?

Jim (JR)
    Last edited by jharris1993; January 25th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast