Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Safety Using Unsecured Wireless Network

Beans

Re: Safety Using Unsecured Wireless Network

God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR8 View Post
    ... using a "live" Ubuntu environment makes a lot of sense as nothing is stored locally.
    That is the least of your worries. On portable devices I suggest an encrypted installation.

As I said, a live CD is, IMO, more vulnerable as the packages will become out of dated rapidly and there are no security updates available.

ufw + ssh tunnel is, IMO, more secure and sufficient for what you need.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks to Earl Malmrose at ZaReason Computers < http://zareason.com/shop/home.php >, from whom I just purchased a ZaReason Teo Netbook < http://zareason.com/shop/product.php...cat=250&page=1 >, an absolutely excellent netbook, I now know how to set up a dial-up connection on a Ubuntu computer, something I have been previously unable to do.

It's actually quite simple - once you know how. (I "reverse-engineered" what Mr. Malmrose did on the Teo and am now able to connect via dial-up on my "regular" Acer Extensa 5620-6419 on which I have Ubuntu installed [Windows is completely removed].)

On most computers, it is necessary to use an external modem; I use a USRobotics USR Model 5637, a USB-modem, which is excellent, but I'm sure that any Linux-capable external modem will do.

Here are the instructions to set up dial-up on a Ubuntu computer:

(Note: you must have Gnome PPP, available from the Synaptic Package Manager, installed.)

Access System > Administration > Users and Groups

Access Advanced Settings (enter password)

Open User Privileges Tab

Make sure EVERYTHING (especially "Connect to internet using a modem" plus "Use modems") is checked.

Plug in this external modem, open Gnome PPP, click on Setup, click on Detect (Gnome PPP will then detect this modem), close the setup box, and then enter your connection (login) information.

That's all there is to it. (Does it sound complicated? It's not really - and you only have to do it once.)

I feel very strongly about security and, as we are going on a trip during which I must perform some online banking, I wish to use a dial-up connection for that purpose rather than a hotel's definitely-not-secure network.

The only computer I owned which could do that was my Asus EeePc 1000/Linux, an otherwise unsatisfactory (much too slow and limited - plus its modified-Xandros OS is no longer being maintained by the manufacturer) netbook.

I contacted ZaReason and asked them if I could mail my USR modem to them to see if it would work with their Teo; if it did, I told them I would buy one.

It did - and I did! (It's quite a netbook. It arrived yesterday and I HIGHLY recommend it - and ZaReason, which sells computers pre-configured with any Linux distribution you wish. It's a "small" company - but they make "big" computers!

This is the computer which I'll be taking on my trip. There is no such thing as "absolute" security, but I certainly feel much better, thanks to all the answers and information posted here.

And a very LOW bow to Earl and Cathy Malmrose at ZaReason for apparently easily accomplishing something (connecting a Ubuntu computer to dial-up) that, for the past two years, I have been unable to do (and have not previously found any cogent or useful information concerning this on any of the forums or even Google).

Check out ZaReason. Barring changes, my wife and I have agreed that any of our future computer purchases will be made from them. (Sorry for the "shameless plug," but my wife and I are really excited about this - we'll actually, for the first time, have a good, small, and fast computer, with Ubuntu, to take with us on a trip!)
    Last edited by lhb1142; July 11th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.

Beans

please can anyone here help me ?
    i am so scary ,
    last week my internet connection got down , the i got connected for 1 week to unsecured internet connection , i signed in to hotmail messenger alot and talked to my friends , and started a video calls with them ,
    my question is ,
    is anyone on this unsecured network could viewed my video calls ? did they saw my video ? please try to reply me ASAP please =

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nadjo View Post
    please can anyone here help me ?
    i am so scary ,
    last week my internet connection got down , the i got connected for 1 week to unsecured internet connection , i signed in to hotmail messenger alot and talked to my friends , and started a video calls with them ,
    my question is ,
    is anyone on this unsecured network could viewed my video calls ? did they saw my video ? please try to reply me ASAP please =
    It is possible that some or all of what you did on the unsecured network could have been observed by someone, especially if the network were set up by a hacker.

I would suggest that, once you are back on your secure network, you change your Hotmail password. As a matter of fact, you should change the passwords of any site into which you logged in while on that unsecured network.

I now avoid all unsecured wireless networks except for merely surfing the web (never signing in to any site); that includes hotel wi-fi networks.

Anything on an unsecured network (or even a secured network that has an open password, such as those hotel networks) can be intercepted by a hacker.

That is why, on occasion, I still use a dial-up internet connection, especially for online banking, etc. While dial-up does not guarantee perfect security, it is less likely to be intercepted than an open network.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345