Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GRUB Error: out of disk. Cannot boot default entries.

Beans

Re: GRUB Error: out of disk. Cannot boot default entries.

It's not necessary to have the second HDD. It wasn't plugged in when I installed Ubuntu and it doesn't have to be present now. What if I unplugged the 40GB and set the 20GB back to Cable Select?
    Specs:
    Dell XPS 15 Notebook || 2.3 GHz Intel i5|| 6Gb RAM || NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    If I've skipped something, please let me know.

Beans

Removed the 40GB HDD, set the 20GB to Cable Select and rebooted. It worked. Eventually. It took a good five minutes to get moving, but I am back in familiar territory for now.

ran "sudo grub-mkdevicemap" and now device.map says:
    Code:
    (fd0)	/dev/fd0
    (hd0)	/dev/sda
    Last edited by anthony62490; July 5th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Specs:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That is correct device.map with one disk present. The problem begins when connecting the other disk too because the 20GB becomes /dev/sdb, if it gets detected correctly at all.

The 20GB needs to remain primary master and I think in that case it will remain /dev/sda even with the 40GB connected too.

But you have to make them work so that the 20GB is Primary Master and the other disk either Primary Slave or Secondary Master/Slave.

In that situation I think it should still work fine, even without updating the device.map.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

okay, so grub has been updated and it turned up no errors (at least from the Terminal).

So if I want to get the 40GB drive back, I need to plug it back in and make sure it is recognised as either primary slave or secondary master/slave, right?

If my guess is correct, the only complaint I should get is the one about the search line. I'll need to check, but I need to get to work. I'll be back in about 6-7 hours. Thanks again for your help.
    Specs:

Beans

Im back, and I experienced no difficulties booting up. I didn't even get the No Such Disk error. I'll try to add the second disk later.

So my biggest problem was that I added another HDD after installing the operating system? I'll keep that in mind for the future.

So I guess it is fixed? Thanks a lot, man. You sure handled this without too much trouble. Where did you learn all of this?
    Specs:

Beans

Hopefully adding some weight to this thread, Darkod #2 message was a lifesaver for me!

If deleting the search line made it boot successfully, do the procedure described here to make the fix permanent:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...roblems:search
    Despite boot-repair and boot_info_script (ok, didn't ask for help).
    Ubuntu 11.10 finally ran with the search line from grub.cnf removed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123