Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized

Beans

Unhappy Re: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized

I just bought a Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S from tmobile. When first got it, I plugged it in via USB in order to tether it for internet access and it worked fine. The next day I tried it and nothing happened. Since I had just got it and had messed around with it a bit to get to know it I thought that maybe I had changed some settings so I did a factory reset, still no avail. Ubuntu network manager does not detect it. I even upgraded to ubuntu 10.10, still no connection. Right now I'm connected using easytether, but like I said, when I had just bought it worked right out of the box. Any body have any ideas? I hate having to connect through easytether. My previous phone was a samsung sgh-t339 and it connects without a problem.

thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized

My device is not listed under lsusb any ideas..

Beans

My Samsung Galaxy S uses Froyo or Android 2.2

To access it from Ubuntu as an external memory device (to load pm3 or videos ...) go to (mine is in Spanish, in English the name of the options should be similar) Settings> Wireless Connections > USB Settings > and select Mass Storage (or better, select "ask when connected" so it will let you choose if you want to access the phone for managing files, multimedia files, or Kies).

I still haven't been able to find where to put the mp3s in the phone

Hope it helps.

Beware of one thing. When finishing, in Ubuntu you will want to unmount the phone, but will unmount the cards inside the phone, the internal (the one which comes with the phone) and the external (the one wchich is removable, the minisd). I haven't been able to mount them again from the phone, I had to switch it off and on for that.

Solved: Use in Ubuntu only the "Eject" option, this is fine, I have to do it twice, I guess because I also have an extra sd card. Do not use the "remove safely" (this one has the effect commented above and you will have to reboot the phone, I am afraid)

For some reason I am not able to use the extra sd card (external_sd) and get the music player to find the files. I can only put song files inside DCIM/Music if i want the music player to recognize them.
    Last edited by Bjorg; January 23rd, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Beans

So, I see that you ultimately want to manage your music on Galaxy S via an Ubyuntu machine. There is no Kies equivalent for linux (although I don't understand why the guys at Samsung are so lazy) but...

for those that want to connect their Galaxy S phone to an Ubuntu machine (any ubuntu release) there is a workaround. It is a simple app that is called "Kies air" and that works over wi-fi (home or office). You can download it from Samsung Apps on your phone and it will offer you the possibility to connect to Galaxy S via the browser window... you simply type in the browser the IP that this app gives you and you have the possibility to manage contacts, photo, music messages, video, etc.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by roby78; February 19th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Beans

Samsung Wave II , Kies not installing via wine

Hi All,

After buying Samsung Wave II found that if I want to download new apps , either I have to download it via mobile itself or via pc.

When Tried to installed Kies, via wine it totally blew off.

Is there any way I could download samsung apps on my ubuntu ?

Beans

Smile Re: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized

Thank you !!! I've been struggling with this problem for quite some time. Yours was the most accurate answer!!! thank you!!!

IT WORKSSSSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgorkos View Post
    I struggled with this too. There is one step left on the phone after you plug it in that you need to take.

Here's how I got it to work, using Lucid Lynx Kubuntu. Surely a Gnome desktop will be similar.

1) On the phone, go to Settings->Applications->USB Settings and select the "Mass Storage" Options.
    2) Go back to Settings->Applications->Development and select "Stay Awake"

3) Plug in your USB cable to the phone and computer.
    The phone will say "USB Connected in the status bar at the top, and a USB symbol will appear.
    4) Drag down the notification bar from the top and hit the "USB Connected: Select to copy files to/from your computer"
    5) You get a new window with "USB Connected: You have connected your phone to your Computer via USB. Select "Mount" if you want to copy files between your computer and your phone's SD card." Select MOUNT.

6) Your notification applet on your computer will squawk about TWO new drives being attached. There will be a little one, and a big one. Mount the bigger of the two.

There will be a selection of existing directories/folders (if you think folders, stay off my lawn):
    Android
    Bluetooth
    DCIM
    kindle
    mobi_drm
    sd
    slacker
    twc-cache

If you want to add music, create a new directory (folder, youngster) called "Music" and copy your music into it.
    Don't forget to use the device notification applet/command line/etc to unmount the drive when you're done copying.
    7) Finally, drag down the notification bar on the phone again and hit "Turn off USB Storage" to tell the phone to stop making the SD card available to the host PC. After you confirm that, your card will be scanned for new media, and it will be available for your consumption via the Music Player.

Enjoy your new Galaxy S/Vibrant/Whatever your carrier calls it. I know I am.

John Gorkos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks, it worked.

Saved me as I have just reformatted my samsung netbook to unbuntu also.

Just to add though for my model of the phone (Samsung galaxy - gt-i9000) the USB settings was not under the Applications folder, It was in the 'About phone' a few options down.

The 'mass storage' options kinda makes sense as the previous one for me was set to kies, which still doesn't work on unbuntu...but then who cares I only really need it for upgrading the phone and from what I hear the upgrade on this model phone is still swarming with bugs.

It was really easy, I played with the phones folders and could even listen to the tracks without having to load them individually onto a player, so I also cleaned the library up as well.

Every day I love Ubuntu a little bit more...

Beans

Wink Re: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized

Quote Originally Posted by gidovans View Post
    Hello,

Just got my new Samsung Galaxy i9000 phone. When connecting to my laptop with an USB cable, the phone says "USB Connected", but Ubuntu does not see my phone.

I am using Ubuntu not yet for a long time, so I need some help here.

My laptop runs 10.04

Thanks already,
    Gido
    Try THIS if you have a Galaxy Nexus.

I wrote this a couple of days ago and it's working great for me and some other's who have tried it.
    Last edited by nyteryder79; December 16th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234