Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Acer Aspire 5745G

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 5745G

Quote Originally Posted by endlessz33 View Post
    Thanks for the Reply! as far as the bios options, the only option is see is SATA configuration and the choices are AHCI and IDE, was that it?

also to elaborate more on the problem, I get the problem when i activate the driver or if I download the driver directly from nvidia (.run extension).

I suppose my question now is two-fold for me:

• if there is a certain way you're suppose to install the nvidia drivers for this laptop?

(I have done it through linux hardware drivers and nvidia website)

• is it possible to just switch to using nvidia for graphics processing once I manage t get it running?

Thanks!
    1. There is no special way to install the Nvidia driver. It's supposed to be done in the usual way. The package manager should work fine, probably better than the "official" Nvidia way nowadays.

2. There are som experimental approaches regarding switching cards on and off after boot, se my earlier posts in this thread. I haven't been able to get anything good out of it though.

--

As I said, you're supposed to be able to switch graphics mode in the BIOS setup, even with 1.16. The choice is below the one you mentioned about SATA on my laptop. I have BIOS 1.15.

Are you sure you have a version of the laptop with the Nvidia circuit? It seems that Acer also sells a model wih only the integrated Intel graphics (I guess that's the one called just "5745" as compared to "5745G"). It would be very logical if that's what you have, except the part where Ubuntu suggested the Nvidia driver.

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    should tell you something about the graphics circuit. If nothing Nvidia related is mentioned by lspci, and you don't have an option to explicitly enable Nvidia graphics in the BIOS setup, then you should remove the Nvidia drivers and run on Intel graphics.

If the Nvidia circuit demonstrably works in Windows, then something is weird. Without that information it could be eiher a faulty circuit, a laptop without Nvidia graphics or a new laptop revision without possibility to reveal the Nvidia chip.

Beans

I do have the nvidia graphics chip as stated by that command also the sticker on the laptop also the box says so as well.

my speculation is that bios 1.16 did away with the option of switching between Intel and nvidia. in which case I got screwed right off the bat since I bought the laptop fairly recent and it had bios 1.16 installed already.

bugger....anyway. I've decided to wait it out and just run integrated Intel graphics in the meantime as there are no solutions for my issue as far as I know

Thank you for your thoughts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endlessz33 View Post
    I do have the nvidia graphics chip as stated by that command also the sticker on the laptop also the box says so as well.

my speculation is that bios 1.16 did away with the option of switching between Intel and nvidia. in which case I got screwed right off the bat since I bought the laptop fairly recent and it had bios 1.16 installed already.

bugger....anyway. I've decided to wait it out and just run integrated Intel graphics in the meantime as there are no solutions for my issue as far as I know

Thank you for your thoughts!
    As a final step in the error seeking procedure, I'd try to start Windows and confirm that the Nvidia circuit works there.

There is also a fairly recent BIOS update available (1.18 ). Could be worth a shot, regardless of what the changelog says.

EDIT: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics - you can also try this. I haven't had any luck, but it was a long time (in computer time measured) since I tested it.
    Last edited by phz_swe; April 10th, 2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: !"#¤ smileys...

Beans

How to Install BIOS without Windows OS? I have completely wiped out Windows from Laptop and I have only got Ubuntu 10.10
    How can I install BIOS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by terajiv View Post
    How to Install BIOS without Windows OS? I have completely wiped out Windows from Laptop and I have only got Ubuntu 10.10
    How can I install BIOS?
    If you don't have any problems with your current BIOS, of course you don't need to update. Only do it if it is truly needed.

Acer provides an DOS-compatible update file. Boot your laptop into DOS via USB or something (google for the procedure, not a specific Ubuntu question) and run the file.

I think your luck with Wine or virtualization would be slim. In the worst case it could corrupt your BIOS firmware, which would be Bad, "return your laptop to the manufacturer"-bad.

Beans

I ran into http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...23&postcount=7 (my problem and solution) with this laptop after upgrading to 11.04. It concerned reboots when using the WLAN card on battery power.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345