Thread: wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

wallpaper

is it possible to have different backgrounds on each virtual desktop? if so, how do i do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: wallpaper

Laptop - Lenovo-IdeaPad-S340-15IWL,i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD , 20.04 Linux Mint
    Desktop - Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 Intel Core i7--2600 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, 16.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You used to be able to from what I've read, but they took it out in KDE4. Don't know if they've added it back into KDE 4.5 yet but as far as I know they haven't.
    _Booting Crunchbang 10
    _AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core 2.1ghz
    _4 gigs of RAM
    _Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    You used to be able to from what I've read, but they took it out in KDE4. Don't know if they've added it back into KDE 4.5 yet but as far as I know they haven't.
    Don't know whether the OP is using KDE but it is still possible in KDE4 (it's just much less obvious than in KDE3). Click on the cashew in the top right corner of the desktop, zoom out, go to Configure Plasma, and select Different activity for each desktop. I think though that you also get different widgets on each desktop as well as a different wallpaper.

Beans
    Distro

using gnome (lucid lynx). i see the compiz plug-in needs a fix for nautilus. that's out of my depth i'm afraid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What do you mean by individual virtual desktop? Are you running multiple virtual machines on one PC?

It should be possible for each user to be able to select a wallpaper that is different to a wallpaper another user has selected because these setting are kept in the individual users /home folder.

Each user, as long as they use their own log in would just go System > Preferences > Appearance > Backgrounds and then make their selection.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

no. i mean the workspaces (sorry, that maybe wasn't clear). i keep the default 4, but would like a different background for each.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I doubt there is anything nativ to Ubuntu that could do that, maybe try UbuntuTweak and see if it has anything in it that could. Be careful with UbuntuTweak though because unless you know what your doing you can break your system with tools like it.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

JWM can do that. (If you're willing to use JWM... )