Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't see my webserver from my public ip...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: I can't see my webserver from my public ip...

Quote Originally Posted by NullHead View Post
    No, do this:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apache2/ports.conf
    Edit lines 8 and 9 to 8080 and restart apache:
    Code:
    sudo service apache2 restart
    I edited lines 8 and 9 to
    Code:
    NameVirtualHost *:8080
    Listen 8080
    and I restarted apache. When I point my browser at my public ip, I still cannot connect.
    I did a little bit more searching around and found that verizon blocks port 8080 as well...
    You think you're doing some damage? Two plus two is... Ten. IN BASE FOUR! I'M FINE!

Beans

Well sounds like you have a problem there. Might I suggest a $5/mo fivebean server, or you could change it to a different port of your choosing; like, say, 8800, 8088, 0880 etc.

Really, it doesn't make a difference what port you use.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redfox1160 View Post
    I am not sure if this is a problem with my server or my router (port forwarding). I have my server's local ip forwarded on my router on port 80 (UDP and TCP). When I type my public ip into a browser any system on my network, I cannot establish a connection to the server. Thanks for any help.
    You need to check it from OUTSIDE of the local network. Don't know for sure if it applies here, but when I ran a server from inside my network everyone could see it fine, but I could only see it by using the internal IP and not the external domain name.

I ran my server on Verizon FiOS, and although I had issues with accessing it from port 80 (I actually hit the router IIRC every time even though I disabled remote administration on port 80), port 8080 worked fine.
    Last edited by dfreer; July 4th, 2010 at 05:54 AM.

Beans

fios residential service blocks port 80 coming into your network..

really, i have Comcast, and just set up my LAMP server, port forwarded, and its good..

changing the port on the LAN side will do nothing.. its the ISP..

It MAYBE could be blocked at the redback, but more than likely, its blocked using a Shasta type filter.. basically an ISP firewall..

hit up your ISP and ask them WTF..

This will tell you if your ISP is blocking port 80 (as long as you actually have port 80 forwarded in your router.. If you dont have the LAN configured for this, then this test will not be accurate.. verify LAN settings, then do this)

**also, port scan your network on port 80 from OUTSIDE THE ISPs NETWORK..If you have, say, verizon, for your ISP, use this command from a DIFFERENT ISP

Code:
    nc -vv yourdomain.com 80
    obviously, replace "yourdomain.com" with your IP or actual domain name.. it will tell you if it worked.. like so

~$ nc -vv yahoo.com 80
    Connection to yahoo.com 80 port [tcp/www] succeeded!
    ^C
    ~$
    Teardrop on the fire.... Fearless on my breath....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12