Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub rescue issue in dual boot

Beans

Grub rescue issue in dual boot

hi all,

I have a windows 7 system. I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a external hard disk. Though both of them work fine, like, first its asked which OS would i like to work on and then i can continue.
    But the issue here is when i try to work only on windows without attaching the USB HDD to the laptop, the GRUB RESCUE comes and stuck to that particular screen. it does not even ask for the boot options.
    Please help.

Gaurav

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Grub rescue issue in dual boot

Probably what has happened here is that when you installed Ubuntu on your external drive it installed grub to the MBR of your main drive, wiping out the windows boot system. When you boot with your USB drive unplugged, the MBR tries to find your /boot partition on your external drive, but it doesn't exist, so it freaks out. You can do some windows recovery console stuff to restore the MBR to boot into windows, but if you do that you will probably have to go to your boot menu and select USB any time you want to boot to Ubuntu.

Beans

I use the Ultimate Boot CD to restore the MBR. Search for it and download. After download, open under filesystem menu. Choose Gag1.0 and follow real simple instructions. Reboot and MBR is back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I assume this fixed your problem, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

One option.

When installing to an external disk that might be unplugged at some stage use the "advanced" button at the last stage of the installer.

Then tell it to put grub on the mbr of the external disk.

In win7 you can then use easybcd to boot the external drives grub, thus leaving win7 mbr intact.

Or.

Put grub on the external drive as above and put grub on the mbr of the win7 drive and chainload into the external drive.

To rectify the OP problem. Manually install grub to the external drive and modify /etc/default/grub on the internal drive to disable the os_prober and modify /etc/grub.d/40_custom to chainload.
    Code:
                menuentry "Grub on sdb1" {

set root=(hd1,1)

chainloader +1

}
    Last edited by philinux; July 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another set of instructions similar to above.

Boot Problems:Computer does not boot without external drive
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...external_drive
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I had a similar problem so I used the FIXMBR command in Windows so that I could boot the computer again. Now my problem is that I would like to remove the Ubuntu Linux partition. When I boot from the Ubuntu CD and run Gparted, it is not clear to me which is the Linux partition, or if there really is a Linux partition, and I don't want to delete the wrong thing. Here are the three partitions I see (table a bit hard to read):

Partition /dev/sda1 -- /dev/sda2 -- /dev/sda3
    File System fat16 -- ntfs -- fat32
    Mount Point -- /media/Kenny_G --
    Label DellUtility -- Kenny_G -- DellRestore
    Size 54.88 MiB -- 462.25 GiB -- 3.45 GiB
    Used 7.88 MiB -- 390.85 GiB -- 2.97 GiB
    Unused 47.00 MiB -- 71.41 GiB -- 299.50 MiB
    Flags -- (/dev/sda2) boot --

I know that /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 operate normally, and I don't know how to test /dev/sda3. Is it possible that something went wrong in the installation, preventing the creation of the Ubuntu partition and causing the computer to stall at the grub rescue> prompt when booting?

At this point I think that I would prefer to have the option to boot Ubuntu either from an external drive or a relatively large thumb drive, rather than my hard disk or the CD.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by gauravkumar View Post
    hi all,

I have a windows 7 system. I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a external hard disk. Though both of them work fine, like, first its asked which OS would i like to work on and then i can continue.
    But the issue here is when i try to work only on windows without attaching the USB HDD to the laptop, the GRUB RESCUE comes and stuck to that particular screen. it does not even ask for the boot options.
    Please help.

Gaurav

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

K-Sub, you do not have any linux partitions, did you install wubi which is just a file inside the NTFS partition of windows?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

HAHA I had the same broblem last winter XD
    took me a day to figure it out
    I you dont mind loosing part of your computer space, just partition your cpu c disk. Then put Ubuntu on a cd
    Install ubuntu on partitionned drive (40gb would be plenty to have fun with ubuntu)
    then you wont need you usb drive again and you'll be happy to use both linux and windows on your pc

Beans

OK, that is what I suspected about the partitions.

I booted from the Ubuntu 10.04 CD and just followed the installation menus and let it do its thing...or not, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    K-Sub, you do not have any linux partitions, did you install wubi which is just a file inside the NTFS partition of windows?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast