Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malibu, California
    Beans
    112
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Ever since I tried Karmic 9.10 grub2 has messed me up good . . .

    I now just want to go back to 9.04, but now with a new install to USB drive of Ubuntu 9.04 or Xubuntu 9.04 with
    the good ole' grub - well - things have changed leaving me with a boot to the " grub rescue> " prompt . . .

    Any ideas ? . . . for the way to finish the boot from here . . .

    I have used these commands alright . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls
    (hd0) (hd0,5) (hd0,1) (hd1) (hd1,5) (hd1,4) hd1,3) (hd1,1)
    grub rescue>
    and following the advice from a google search I set prefix but that was obviously wrong so I tried this improvement . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
    grub rescue>
    and now get . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> set
    prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
    root=hd0,1
    grub rescue>
    But . . . should I set prefix different though . . . ? These are ls results . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls (hd0,1)/boot
    ./ ../ System.map-2.6.28-11-generic abi-2.6.28-11-generic config-2.6.28-11-generic
    memtest86+.bin vmcoreinfo-2.6.28-11-generic vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic 
    grub/ initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
    grub rescue>
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls (hd0,1)/boot/grub/
    ./ ../ device.map stage1 stage2 e2fs_stage1_5 fat_stage1_5 jfs_stage1_5 
    minix_stage1_5 reiserfs_stage1_5 xfs_stage1_5 default installed-version menu.lst
    grub rescue>
    Any ideas as I experiment to further nudge this along to the usual and expected 9.04 boot screen ?

    Thank you very much.

    P.S. . . . obviously NOT a very fast boot sequence, eh ?
    Last edited by jenaniston; February 11th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,773

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenaniston View Post
    Ever since I tried Karmic 9.10 grub2 has messed me up good . . .

    I now just want to go back to 9.04, but now with a new install to USB drive of Ubuntu 9.04 or Xubuntu 9.04 with
    the good ole' grub - well - things have changed leaving me with a boot to the " grub rescue> " prompt . . .

    Any ideas ? . . . for the way to finish the boot from here . . .

    I have used these commands alright . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls
    (hd0) (hd0,5) (hd0,1) (hd1) (hd1,5) (hd1,4) hd1,3) (hd1,1)
    grub rescue>
    and following the advice from a google search I set prefix but that was obviously wrong so I tried this improvement . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
    grub rescue>
    and now get . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> set
    prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
    root=hd0,1
    grub rescue>
    But . . . should I set prefix different though . . . ? These are ls results . . .
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls (hd0,1)/boot
    ./ ../ System.map-2.6.28-11-generic abi-2.6.28-11-generic config-2.6.28-11-generic
    memtest86+.bin vmcoreinfo-2.6.28-11-generic vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic 
    grub/ initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
    grub rescue>
    Code:
    grub rescue> ls (hd0,1)/boot/grub/
    ./ ../ device.map stage1 stage2 e2fs_stage1_5 fat_stage1_5 jfs_stage1_5 
    minix_stage1_5 reiserfs_stage1_5 xfs_stage1_5 default installed-version menu.lst
    grub rescue>
    Any ideas as I experiment to further nudge this along to the usual and expected 9.04 boot screen ?

    Thank you very much.

    P.S. . . . obviously NOT a very fast boot sequence, eh ?
    In order to get a better look at your system I need you to boot a Live CD with all drives, including the USB drive, connected and then post the results of the Boot Info Script as described here:

    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malibu, California
    Beans
    112
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    In order to get a better look at your system I need you to boot a Live CD with all drives, including the USB drive, connected and then post the results of the Boot Info Script as described here:

    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
    A live version would be great if it would boot a live version -
    but the "BusyBox" is what I get - I can press escape to see what happens before it stalls though.


    sda1 is a SATA hard drive with Windows XP - but the XP recovery utility did a destructive process
    (the OS is still there but only because linux and freebsd have told me it is there)
    There is a logical and extended fat32 partition sda5

    The full install USB OS is currently Xubuntu 9.04 64 bit . . . has always been dev/sdb -
    with grub rescue it looks like it lists as (hd0,1)

    grub was installed to that sdb device at sdb1 with the live CD installer . . .
    along with a logical 1GB swap area at sdb5

    What file is needed by the grub rescue ?

    . . . grub was installed to the sdb1 partition by the live installer utility.

    Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,773

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenaniston View Post
    A live version would be great if it would boot a live version -
    but the "BusyBox" is what I get - I can press escape to see what happens before it stalls though.


    sda1 is a SATA hard drive with Windows XP - but the XP recovery utility did a destructive process
    (the OS is still there but only because linux and freebsd have told me it is there)
    There is a logical and extended fat32 partition sda5

    The full install USB OS is currently Xubuntu 9.04 64 bit . . . has always been dev/sdb -
    with grub rescue it looks like it lists as (hd0,1)

    grub was installed to that sdb device at sdb1 with the live CD installer . . .
    along with a logical 1GB swap area at sdb5

    What file is needed by the grub rescue ?

    . . . grub was installed to the sdb1 partition by the live installer utility.

    Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
    If BIOS is set to boot from CD first you should never get to grub booting an Ubuntu Live CD.

    If you installed using a Live CD the BIOS settings are probably OK, but can you eject the CD tray?

    And then can you fully reboot? I think Ctrl + Alt + Delete should reboot you if stalled at grub.

    Have you tried other Live CD's? (Age doesn't matter)

    We really need a look at just what's installed where, not just operating systems, but boot files, etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Beans
    2,232

    Post Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    You know what, I was just doing this, today. I did not succeed, but here is what the instructions said to do:

    You have correctly set the prefix and root stuff.

    Then, you "insmod /boot/grub/linux.mod". This is the part that failed on me.

    Then, "linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro" where, based on your OP, XY would be "01".

    Next, "initrd /initrd.img"

    Finally, if all the above worked, "boot".

    These changes will be temporary and, if you do get back up, successfully, you should run "sudo update-grub" to fix it, permanently.

    Good luck,
    Tim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Also, if you are sure grub is installed on /dev/sdb1 (with a number, that's a partition), and not /dev/sdb (the MBR of the disk), you can't expect to boot from it. That's why the default location for grub is the MBR of a disk, that's where bootloader should be.
    If it's installed on a partition you need to call it from another bootloader.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Then, you "insmod /boot/grub/linux.mod". This is the part that failed on me.
    Wasn't that supposed to be

    insmod ext2

    ?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,773

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Also, if you are sure grub is installed on /dev/sdb1 (with a number, that's a partition), and not /dev/sdb (the MBR of the disk), you can't expect to boot from it. That's why the default location for grub is the MBR of a disk, that's where bootloader should be.
    If it's installed on a partition you need to call it from another bootloader.
    That's why you must always be able to boot from some external media (or access from another computer) if things go haywire!

    Grub will never stop you from booting a Live CD or USB. That occurs in BIOS before GRUB ever appears.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Beans
    2,232

    Wink Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to be

    insmod ext2

    ?
    Well, the instructions I was following did not say that. I was following the official grub2 documentation on ubuntu.com.

    Tim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malibu, California
    Beans
    112
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: grub rescue> ls (hd0,1) . . . boot from grub command line ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    . . .
    We really need a look at just what's installed where, not just operating systems, but boot files, etc.
    Well sorry to be confusing . . . all live versions (or operating systems) are USB pendrive . . . no CD on the laptop.
    BIOS was happy before U9.10 with the USB boot - and bios is still ok with it.

    Everything is on the USB OS dev/sdb - partition 1 - but what file and command does grub rescue need to look there ?

    The install of the full OS to the USB was on a different machine using a live CD running on that machine . . . and ported to a "virtually thin" laptop
    (the hard drive Windows XP partition is not bootable/accessible - well, yet - at least until I get a linux or freebsd unix up on a USB OS)
    It worked ok this way until Karmic and grub2 was tried . . . now i get the grub rescue> prompt.

    So yes, boot files and the entire OS from the live version were installed to the sdb1 partition . . .
    the USB OS primary partition - the only other on the USB is a swap area partition sdb5..

    Where does the grub rescue need to go to boot the grub on partition sdb1 ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •