Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How's WINE with games now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Re: How's WINE with games now?

I do some pretty heavy 25-man raiding in World of Warcraft, currently using an Asus UL30VT-laptop (with NVidia G210) with Ubuntu exclusively installed.

My performance under Ubuntu with Wine on this laptop actually surpasses the performance I had under Windows XP/7 on my stationary 1.83GHz Intel core duo with NVidia Geforce 9600 (not an amazing system by far, but a few years ago it was decent at least).

With that said, I haven't really tried any other games under Wine lately. Blizzard have always been known for being good at not breaking their code so much that the Wine-team can't come up with fixes for Wine.

The only thing that bugs me out a bit is that there still isn't support for hardware mouse acceleration in OpenGL-mode, which makes especially healing in 25-man raids awkward due to all the mouse movement required, but a fix for this has been announced by Blizzard for the upcoming Cataclysm-expansion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How's WINE with games now?

For me, Oblivion's working as well as it did on Windows (maybe better, no crashes mid-gameplay yet, though weOCPS might have prevented some). There were sound issues prior to 1.2rc6 (just now released).

Portal runs noticeable slower than it did on Windows, briefly pausing whenever I open a portal, but otherwise playable. And having dual monitors, it took some effort to get games to run fullscreen on a single monitor rather than stretching across both.
    Last edited by dtfinch; July 3rd, 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

Reading this thread, it's the fact that I have a Radeon (3XXX series) that concerns me.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Master View Post
    Reading this thread, it's the fact that I have a Radeon (3XXX series) that concerns me.
    I would never trust anyone but NVidia when it comes to gaming under Linux/Wine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123