Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game I am writing

Beans

Re: Game I am writing

Update, I've basically finished all the core elements of the game. Now I'm just giving it polish with additional, and hopefully original graphics. Oh, and try to get some sound in there. Next week will be a month since I started this project and I think I will stop spending all my free time on it.

I'll make the source available (more to let people critique since I doubt it'll actually be useful to people ) and try to create binaries. I will probably start on a different project, but I will add features and graphics as I long as I am interested.

Current Status

This was a great experience and I learned a lot from this project, including the basic game loop, setting milestones for myself, creating maintainable code, and of course lots of python. I encourage anybody who is interested in programming to make a simple game like this because there is no better teacher than experience

You can follow my progress on my blog, where I recorded a video every 2 or 3 days.

Very cool. Add a little OpenAL and you're solid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiplingw View Post
    Very cool. Add a little OpenAL and you're solid.
    Hmm I'm not too familiar, is it better than the sound methods in pygame?

Don't know too much about pygame, to be honest with you. However, I'm sure there are Python bindings for OpenAL by now.

Beans

Ahh right, ok. Yeah I've been putting off sound. But I'll be having fun composing some tunes

Definitely. If you like tracker tunes, they might go well with your game. You can use MikMod for playback.

Beans

Well, here's the source.

Run the wizardcity.py file with python to play it.

Code:
    python wizardcity.py
    It uses pygame as a dependency.

I'm trying to make exes for Windows and debs for Ubuntu, but its really something I have no experience in, so it'll take a while

I don't have time right now to play it, but for packaging, I can give you some tips. For Windows, I recommend NSIS. For Debian packages, I recommend you take a look at the Ubuntu Packaging Guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiplingw View Post
    I don't have time right now to play it, but for packaging, I can give you some tips. For Windows, I recommend NSIS. For Debian packages, I recommend you take a look at the Ubuntu Packaging Guide.
    Whoo deb packaging looks seriously complicated... I don't even know how to properly make a tarball with setup.py. I spent all my free time making an exe today, I guess I'll use my next day off with debs.

Smile Re: Game I am writing

Don't worry, it's only complicated the first time you learn it. You don't have to really re-learn it again and you'll find that Debian packaging is very powerful and there is almost always a good reason why they make most of the decisions that they do. The Ubuntu Packaging Guide is pretty solid and is an excellent reference to have on hand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast