Thread: Review website?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Review website?

I know there's a few decent review websites but when I'm looking into a different OS I can never quite find what I'm looking for and I'm not quite sure why.

Does anyone think a new Linux review website could be used, more aimed at beginners trying to pick a distro?

I've been thinking about it for a while but am not sure. If anyone thinks this is a good idea what do you think could make it stand out from existing sites?

Beans

Re: Review website?

I get a lot of mileage out of distrowatch.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, but do you not think it is a little technical for the new user?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by burton247 View Post
    Yeah, but do you not think it is a little technical for the new user?
    If the Distrowatch page describing the major distros is too technical for you, then my advice is simply "try Ubuntu, on supported hardware."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I say new user I suppose I mean someone new to Linux and low-level technical knowledge. The information on distro watch won't really help someone like that decide on their first distro. I know the best way is to just jump in a try and a few but you don't want someone hearing how great arch or slackware is and then thinking this is way too hard, why am I bothering

Beans

I see what you're getting at... A dumbed down version of distrowatch without all the jargon etc. That would probably be a good thing if it were done correctly... Lots of screenshots and videos would be nice. It needs to be cool, trendy and good looking.
    Last edited by Johnsie; June 30th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah I was thinking lots of pictures. I like to know what a distro looks like first. More reviewing the user experience than anything else I suppose