Thread: Memory Upgrade Needed! What kind? 2007 Systemax.

Beans

Question Memory Upgrade Needed! What kind? 2007 Systemax.

So im looking to upgrade memory in hopes of multi tasking (I want to browse my 300gb collection of mp3s while browsing a dozen or so tabs on firefox with deluge managing a few thousand torrents)

I have just upgraded from jaunty to Lucid Lynx AND i have 4 memory slots available...(i plan on trashing the current super-weak stick of ram thats in there)

heres my specs from a particularilly wonderful support website which you may recognize the format of.

Serial number: 106417746
    Order number: 10815622
    Ship Date: 1-25-2007

Your computer contains the following:
    (1) Systemax Support Kit
    (1) Free DOS
    (1) Intel Pentium D 915 Processor 2.8GHz
    (1) 1GB PC4200 533MHz DDR2 Memory (1GB x 1)
    (1) Intel DQ965GFKR S775 mATX Motherboard w/Gigabit LAN
    (1) 80GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive
    (1) 350 Watt Power Supply
    (1) 16X DVD Drive Black
    (1) Logitech Value 100 Keyboard PS/2
    (1) Logitech Black Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2
    (1) 3.5" 1.44 MB Black Floppy Drive

I am also wondering if i get a 4gigs of memory will i be able to play games? (im guessing no without a graphics card)

Will i be able to watch 1080p videos with 4 gigs of ram? (im guessing MAYBE)

i am comparing crucial from amazon with gskill from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-122-_-Product

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KIT...7950541&sr=1-1

Gskill seem to have good reviews on newegg...but ive never heard of them and i want something good....just for an unrelated example: Im the kind of guy that really appreciates a 7k rpm western digital caviar black hard drive....so im looking for something decent...but not TOO decent (like those 10k rpm raptor hard drives)...and im trying to keep it around $100.00 USD

Whats the best brand to get? to be honest with you guys the only brand i even recognize is Kingston...so i may have some loyalty there...I have a feeling it doesnt matter what brand i get just as long as its compatible.

ALSO i know in windows you have to have the 64 bit graphics OS to even recognize more than 2 gigs of memory (i think?) will i run into any kind of issues like that? or will lynx just get all awesome on me and recognize the new memory automatically on start up?
    Last edited by memoria; July 1st, 2010 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Memory Upgrade Needed! What kind? 2007 Systemax.

There is nothing wrong with your specs, no urging need to add memory. In case your goal is to watch hd video, get a good graphics card instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You would probably want more than 1 GB of RAM for gaming, but it differs per game. I would check the system requirements that games post.

As far as the HD video, you would probably want at least 3 GB of RAM and definitely a decent graphics card.

Crucial is definitely a dependable manufacturer of RAM and Gskill is also pretty good. If I had to choose one, I would choose Crucial.

Also, you need a 64-bit system to use more than 4 GB of RAM.

EDIT: The link for the Crucial RAM that you posted is for NOTEBOOKS only. For desktops you need 240pin. Also, don't forget to check that your motherboard supports more than 1 GB in each slot. I made that mistake when upgrading RAM once.
    Last edited by cj.surrusco; July 1st, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just ordinary DDR2 will work; it's the longer sticks, not the short stubby sticks (those are for laptops).

Don't buy Kingston memory, it WILL fail.

1080p video decoding is CPU-intensive. If you want to be able to decode 1080p video then you should buy an Nvidia graphics card (they can handle most of the decoding workload), but you might need a better power supply in order to run it. An Nvidia graphics card will allow you to play games too.

4 GiB of RAM is a lot. A real lot. You can do all you want to do with 2 GiB of RAM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Wow! thanks for all the info guys! And so timely too!!

So lemme ask ya guys how do I figure out if my memory slots allow 2gig sticks? I have 4 slots available...thats all i can say...OH and I did eventually buy a bigger power supply...i think its at least 400 or 600 something or anothers...its pretty decent.

I have cpu Z installed thru wine but it doesnt provide any info on the ram tab.

Beans

Crucial's site has a RAM Utility. It has never failed me. I also highly recommend there RAM but not buying it from them. The 2X 1 GB RAM cards I have now were recommended to me by Crucial's site. They wanted to sell them to me for about $100. U.S. each not shipped. I found the exact same RAM on newegg at $110. U.S. for both with shipping.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

aight warface check this out.

8D6FC57831D926C3

Our System Scanner couldn't make a complete match, but we can still help you find the right memory upgrade.

thats the result i get after i download the CrucialScan.exe. Open thru Wine. Open sysprofile.htm (which loads in firefox).

And heres the rest of the results.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: N.A.
    * Currently Installed Memory: N.A.
    * Available Memory Slots: N.A.
    * Total Memory Slots: N.A.
    * Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    * CPU Manufacturer: N.A.
    * CPU Family: N.A.
    * CPU Speed: 0 MHz

So as you can see im not having as easy a time as you!!

Then it asks me my manufacturer!! and guess what?? It doesnt have Systemax in the drop down list??!?!?...Isnt systemax sort of like DELL? im not sure...

Beans

No need to bother with the .exe file. Just put your info into the drop down menus on the site.

Regardless, your Manufacturer isn't listed. I'd go to Systemax's site and get the appropriate info from there.
    Last edited by warfacegod; July 3rd, 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by memoria View Post
    Wow! thanks for all the info guys! And so timely too!!

So lemme ask ya guys how do I figure out if my memory slots allow 2gig sticks? I have 4 slots available...thats all i can say...OH and I did eventually buy a bigger power supply...i think its at least 400 or 600 something or anothers...its pretty decent.

I have cpu Z installed thru wine but it doesnt provide any info on the ram tab.
    Check your system's website. So you would wanna check out SystemaxPC.com. Go to the support section and type in your PC's serial. Hopefully it'll have info on how much each slot supports if the Crucial website doesn't.
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans

Code:
    sudo lshw
    might be useful. The amount of info it gives can be overwhelming but it's probably worth looking at. If for no other reason than you'll become more familiar with your system hardware.