Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not accepting my password after opening the GUI

Beans

Ubuntu is not accepting my password after opening the GUI

Ubuntu was installed Friday, I closed it down prior to leaving for the day, on Monday I started Ubuntu up. On the login screen it displayed my name and a blank field to input my password. I entered my password and it looked as though the password worked, however the login screen reappeared. FYI - I entered an invalid password and it recognized it as an incorrect password.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu is not accepting my password after opening the GUI

Are you still able to log in on a text console? Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to change to the 2nd text console, and try to log in. To log out, press Ctrl+D. To change back to GUI, press Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can you log into your account via the Ctrl+Alt+F1 display?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can you log into your account via the Ctrl+Alt+F1 display?
    If so, one way to possibly reset it is to run
    sudo passwd *insert username here*
    After doing that, you should be able to reset the password to your original one, or a different one if you wish.

Beans

I have follow the instruction from these responses and appreciate the directions, however I am stil in the same situation and cannot log into the GUI of ubuntu. Is there something more I should do?

Beans

Please log in at the virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and check the ownership and permissions of your home dir and ICE / X authority files e.g.

Code:
    ls -ld ~
    ls -l ~/.{ICE,X}authority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm having the same issue. Mine started after installing AMD proprietary drivers, having them fail to work, then uninstalling. This was all done following the linked instructions on AMD's website. First reboot after the uninstall, and I can't login as me. (Additionally, my username had changed to the Full Name specified on the account). I could still logon as Guest. I changed the Username on my account back to what it used to be, but still cannot login.
    I can login, using my correct Username and password, from TTY1. Even so, I did sudo passwd *insert username here* and was able to set my password, even though I was setting it a password that already works.

Also, as my account is Administrator, every time I sudo I have to use my password, and it has continued to work.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Please log in at the virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and check the ownership and permissions of your home dir and ICE / X authority files e.g.

Code:
    ls -ld ~
    ls -l ~/.{ICE,X}authority
    Doing the above I get
    -rw------- 1 username username 1908 Mar 5 17:12 /home/username/.ICEauthority
    -rw------- 1 root root 251 Mar 5 16:43 /home/username/.Xauthority

Anyone have any idea how I should proceed?

Beans

Your .Xauthority file needs to be owned by you (if it's owned by root, then your X session can't start)

Either

Code:
    sudo chown username:username ~/.Xauthority
    or (doesn't need sudo since you own the containing dir)

Code:
    rm ~/.Xauthority
    In the latter case the file will be regenerated on your next successful X session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not to hijack the thread, but could this permission have been changed by installation of the AMD drivers and, if so, could that have been the cause of the failure of the drivers to work? When I booted after installing the AMD drivers, I would boot to the generic background screen, but without anything else on the screen. (No clock, network indicator, Dash, launcher, nothing)

Beans

in my experience, it's usually caused by starting an X server using sudo - either by doing 'sudo startx' or possibly by doing 'sudo X -configure' or 'sudo Xorg -configure' to generate a new xorg.conf file

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast