Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usb microscope led lights.

Beans

Re: Usb microscope led lights.

Although this is all getting a bit technical for me I tried the microscope in Ubuntu, and the LED lights come straight on without even installing any software- although I can't get the program to run that makes the micorscope bit function, as it's beyond me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

have you tried cheese ? it's in the repo's I tried a variety of apps, and the only one that actually enabled me to see anything was cheese.

I still can't get the led's to work on ubuntu or mint for that matter, still I live in hope of a driver surfacing that does the job, my graphics tablet has one which works well, so you never know.
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't explain why your LED lights don't work, but I'm using a different brand of USB microscope with Ubuntu 10 and it works fine. lsusb gives:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia Sonix USB 2.0 Camera
    It's from DealExtreme, the DigiMicro 200x. $35.51 with free shipping.

When I first got it only 3 of the 4 LED's would light, but after a while they all came on. We've had a lot of fun with this unit, and it works nicely with Cheese.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am looking to buy a USB microscope for my son for his birthday. It would be great to get some advice on what models / makes will work on Ubuntu. My system is running Ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:45:36 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Thank for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    Hello.

I have recently purchased a usb microscope from Maplins, and although it does work with ubuntu 10.4 (and linux mint 9) I cant for the life of me get the led lights to work, the lights are kind of needed when viewing things close up.
    Hi there,

Try here:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...r-draft?msg=cs

Though the site states there is a driver in the newer kernels, these do not switch on the LEDs.

Use the 'git' instructions and then compile and install the driver per the instructions.

Works like a charm.

If it doesn't, get back to me and we'll see what we can do (I'm not promising anything as I didn't create the driver ))

The only problem is you have to go through the whole rigmarole each time you update the kernel!

<shakes head>

PS.

You will need to address the issue of the existing driver which is located here:

lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sn9c20x.ko

of course the kernel number will depend on the kernel you are using )

Change the name of the gspca driver to something like gspca_sn9c20x.ko.original (or something) rather than delete it (which I'm sure you wouldn't do but there are many who are new who may )

then install the driver.

I've found that sometimes modprobing doesn't work (dunno why) and I've had to reboot (I use the microscope on a laptop so turning it off doesn't feel too unusual LOL)
    Last edited by 4ebees; December 5th, 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12