Thread: reason for "sudo: must be setuid root" issue on 12.04 ubuntu server

Beans

reason for "sudo: must be setuid root" issue on 12.04 ubuntu server

Hellow,

i just did a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04 - 32 bit on my vps.
    then i created a new user and added it into "sudo" group to allow sudo permission. then i tried to sudo to see whether it works or not. then i got "sudo: must be setuid root" warning. after googling for sometime i found out that /urs/bin/sudo file must be given chmod +s permission to make sudo work. i did that from my root user and everything seemed to work fine from then on. My question is should this issue occur on a fresh installation? everyone out there having the same issue somehow messed up their file/owner permission on user/bin. Does that mean my fresh installation somehow did not went well as it should be? should i reinstall again or i just overlook it? I am looking forward to hearing insights from you. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: reason for "sudo: must be setuid root" issue on 12.04 ubuntu server

Quote Originally Posted by xihad View Post
    Hellow,

i just did a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04 - 32 bit on my vps.
    then i created a new user and added it into "sudo" group to allow sudo permission. then i tried to sudo to see whether it works or not. then i got "sudo: must be setuid root" warning. after googling for sometime i found out that /urs/bin/sudo file must be given chmod +s permission to make sudo work. i did that from my root user and everything seemed to work fine from then on. My question is should this issue occur on a fresh installation? everyone out there having the same issue somehow messed up their file/owner permission on user/bin. Does that mean my fresh installation somehow did not went well as it should be? should i reinstall again or i just overlook it? I am looking forward to hearing insights from you. Thanks in advance.
    The /usr/bin/sudo suid bit should be set by default. YOu should net have to do that.
    -BAB1