Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

hi, bcbc.... this is very helpful tutorial... i used it a while ago to migrate and everything went just fine...but since i am rally a newbie to linux...i messed up with that installation and had to remove everything and install windows then again ubuntu via wubi...but now the problem is i am not able to do the migration with th above method...every time i try an error pops up..saying something like error in home/user/.morzila something....could u shed some light onto this..please.....u c after i reinstalled ubuntu i ve literally fallen in love with it ....
    thanks
    hush

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by geekhush View Post
    hi, bcbc.... this is very helpful tutorial... i used it a while ago to migrate and everything went just fine...but since i am rally a newbie to linux...i messed up with that installation and had to remove everything and install windows then again ubuntu via wubi...but now the problem is i am not able to do the migration with th above method...every time i try an error pops up..saying something like error in home/user/.morzila something....could u shed some light onto this..please.....u c after i reinstalled ubuntu i ve literally fallen in love with it ....
    thanks
    hush
    I'm curious as to why you needed to use Wubi a second time? If it was a new install you could just setup a normal dual boot.

In terms of the error you are getting, it's not something I've run across before. There are some folders that are explicitly excluded because they fail the rsync copy (e.g. .gvfs folders) but I've never seen a case involving the .mozilla settings. It might be related to a plugin I suppose. If you could please post the exact error text then I'll investigate it further and see if it warrants a workaround.

There's a new version of the script being released soon because of changes in Oneiric 11.10, so if you get that exception text to me soon I'll try and incorporate a fix in that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Beans

hi, bcbc thanks a lot for ua time...ok first of all let me help help u with ua curosity, ok i installed ubuntu via wibi (coz i recently burnet off my dvd drive ) for the first time and i liked it very much, then this problem, bug actually which was touchering half of the world, the blank screen problem occurred to me too..and at that time i did not know about ya awesome megathread..i posted the problem on the forums but i couldnt quite get a fix...so i though if i migrate to a native install my problem might be solved, so i decided to experiment it...but alas t didnot work..then i had to format everything..including windws and did a new installation...then i installed ubuntu all over again and fyi i found the migration tutorial of urs through google
    now the problem ok when i tried, actually a dozen times to do the migration this problem pops up.Heres the full error message
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Copying files - please be patient - this takes some time
    rsync: read errors mapping "/home/hush/.mozilla/firefox/dtbf3hfr.default/urlclassifier3.sqlite": Input/output error (5)
    rsync: read errors mapping "/home/hush/.mozilla/firefox/dtbf3hfr.default/urlclassifier3.sqlite": Input/output error (5)
    ERROR: home/hush/.mozilla/firefox/dtbf3hfr.default/urlclassifier3.sqlite failed verification -- update discarded.
    hope this time i get a nice fix and it proves to be a solid blow on the face of the loser,the bug thanks anyways

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

geekhush,

It appears that there is some firefox sqlite corruption. Refer to the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread which, from post #3 to #7 talk about mysql corruption.

In post #1 there is this link which might help: http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/fi...upted-profiles

If you are unsure, post in that thread and then lovinglinux might be able to shed more light on this issue.

Beans

hi, bcbc..thanks a lot...the problem i fixed.. i just used a command to delete the morzila profile..and created a new one ond it worked just fine...and i just migrated to a native partition
    regards
    hush

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geekhush View Post
    hi, bcbc..thanks a lot...the problem i fixed.. i just used a command to delete the morzila profile..and created a new one ond it worked just fine...and i just migrated to a native partition
    regards
    hush
    Great! That's good to hear!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Initial ram disk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd

I don't know how it would be corrupted... but it does happen. There's no problem with the space side of things. I suppose there might be fragmentation of the root.disk itself from Windows.

In general, wubi is good to try out Ubuntu, but once you're tried it out and want to keep it, it's better to install it direct. I think I mentioned already in another thread you posted in, but you can migrate the wubi or backup/reinstall manually.
    When I migrate the Wubi as per the instructions on that thread do I use this code as my Ubuntu Wubi install may be on sda5? I've downloaded the file

sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda5
    What is the other indication mean on your screenshots in that page?

bcbc@ubuntu:~/downloads$ ls
    other wubi-move-2.0.sh wubi-move-2.0.sh.gz

I suspect you are extracting the file with the above command. I could be wrong. Please tell me if I am and what the above string means. It would seem that second line might be generated by the Terminal after you entered the first line.

I see in your set of screenshots you also use the command

sudo fdisk -1(?). I'm not sure if that character is a 1 or an L.

I also saw this command on your screenshot.

sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh/dev/sda5 dev/sda6

Why is the wubi-move program name placed next to one of the partitions and then another partition, sda6 comes after it.?

If I have a partition on the main drive ready for the Ubuntu migration how do I know which one it is and what kind of syntax do I use to make sure the migration from Wubi goes to that partition?

I do hate sounding a little nit picky or like a serious noob but I'm not even certain if I'm correct that sda5 means a partition or drive indication. The rest seems pretty straightforward with the prompts.

Oh, yes. One more thing I must look up. The term "Swap".

Thank you in advance for your patience and help here.
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Wubi megathread

PayPaul, it's probably best to post on the Howto itself (Rubi1200, if you like you can move it and my response).

In answer to your questions:
    1. other - that just happens to be a directory on my machine that I used to clean up my Downloads directory so it looked better on the screenshot - that simply shows the archive and the extracted script.
    2. -l - it's a lowercase -L
    3. /dev/sda5 - this is an example partition. You need to change it to one that you have created for the express purpose of migrating to - it's not the one holding the wubi install - it's an empty partition of type 83 (create as an ext4 partition)
    4. there is a space between wubi-move-2.0.sh and /dev/sda5

Take your time - there's no rush to migrate. Please review the Howto thread and the links e.g. the one that shows how to manually partition. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions: it's best to make sure you understand before migrating.
    Thanks

Beans

Hi bcbc,

First of all, thanks for the howto. I must say, though, that I have a problem at the very beginning, when I try to make the partitions. If I run Gparted from my wubi installation, I can see the space used and unused by the windows partition. However, when I run ubuntu from a USB stick and start Gparted, I only see the total space of the Windows partition, but not the used space nor the remaining one, and there is an error icon beside this partition. I have the option of rezising, but it won't change when I try to settle a new value. What could be the problem? If you think this needs a new thread, just tell me and I will open a new one.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I forgot to say this is for Ubuntu 10.04.
    Last edited by ViewtifulM; October 5th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raza123 View Post
    I think its a very useful tutorial and very helpful for us.
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulM View Post
    Hi bcbc,

First of all, thanks for the howto. I must say, though, that I have a problem at the very beginning, when I try to make the partitions. If I run Gparted from my wubi installation, I can see the space used and unused by the windows partition. However, when I run ubuntu from a USB stick and start Gparted, I only see the total space of the Windows partition, but not the used space nor the remaining one, and there is an error icon besides this partition. I have the option of rezising, but it won't change when I try to settle a new value. What could be the problem? If you think this needs a new thread, just tell me and I will open a new one.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I forgot to say this is for Ubuntu 10.04.
    When you click on that error icon does it give you any information as to what it thinks is the problem? You might want to run chkdsk from windows to ensure that the partition is clean before trying again to resize it from the live USB.

If it's windows vista/7 you can resize it from within Windows (just make sure it doesn't switch you to dynamic drives on win7).

PS before running chkdsk, back up important data on your wubi install. This link shows how to run chkdsk from within windows http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.com...-rootdisk.html (just refer to the section titled 'Running chksdk' as the rest of that post is to do with missing root.disk files)

Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast