Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Should have been nothing running, but appears something was open I guess. I cleared the partition, and tried again and it worked fine. Good to hear the version for 12.04 will allow it to continue. There is a chance someone may have hit the trackpad, and on this laptop, it could have sent a click to open something since it is sensative.

Thanks for the help. Everything seems to be running almost exactly as the wubi version. Had a couple of links set up to access the user data under windows in the 'my documents' area that had to be recreated of course, but other than that, I see no issues.

Josh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jpav View Post
    Should have been nothing running, but appears something was open I guess. I cleared the partition, and tried again and it worked fine. Good to hear the version for 12.04 will allow it to continue. There is a chance someone may have hit the trackpad, and on this laptop, it could have sent a click to open something since it is sensative.

Thanks for the help. Everything seems to be running almost exactly as the wubi version. Had a couple of links set up to access the user data under windows in the 'my documents' area that had to be recreated of course, but other than that, I see no issues.

Josh
    Great! Glad to hear it worked out.

Beans

If you don't want to install the grub bootloader, use the --no-bootloader option. You can boot from the Wubi install's grub menu temporarily and manually install the grub bootloader later.

I'm running the wubi install on an Alienware m14x. To boot it took a bit of tweeking of the grub bootloader to make Ubuntu work with the Nvidia graphics card. With a migration to a partition do you recommend installing the grub bootloader or not?

Thanks for any assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wojo71 View Post
    If you don't want to install the grub bootloader, use the --no-bootloader option. You can boot from the Wubi install's grub menu temporarily and manually install the grub bootloader later.

I'm running the wubi install on an Alienware m14x. To boot it took a bit of tweeking of the grub bootloader to make Ubuntu work with the Nvidia graphics card. With a migration to a partition do you recommend installing the grub bootloader or not?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Yes I recommend installing it. The tweaking you are talking about is carried forward automatically as it sits in the generated grub.cfg within the Ubuntu install.

The --no-bootloader option just prevents grub replacing the Windows bootloader in the drive master boot record (MBR). This area is very small, so the bootloader itself doesn't have much logic in it, just the capabilities of loading the core image, additional grub modules and the grub.cfg.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For those interested, I've included the steps required to manually migrate. These instructions used to be in post #1, but made it less readable, so I've moved them here. Also, I don't recommend manual migration, unless you are doing it for educational purposes

Manual migration

These are only suitable for Wubi installs from release 9.10 and later (Grub2 only). The instructions should be run from the booted Wubi install (not a liveCD).
    Please don't use the manual migration unless you fully understand what you are doing. The automated migration has many additional safeguards and will protect you from errors.

This example assumes the new install will be on /dev/sda5 and that there will be a swap on /dev/sda6. If there is no swap, just ignore lines containing /dev/sda6. If there is a swap partition it must be of type 'swap'. Change the device names as appropriate.

Most of these commands are best cut-and-pasted to avoid typos. If you need to change the device names, I recommend doing it in a text editor before pasting to terminal. Otherwise, if you paste a linefeed by accident the command will run before you have a chance to change it.

1. Do this all as root
    Code:
    sudo -i
    1.a. Ensure you do not have grub-legacy. If the output of the following shows version 0.97 then please do not continue. These instructions only work with grub versions 1.96 and greater. You can use the attached script wubi-move-2.2.sh instead.
    Code:
    grub-install --version
    2. Format new partition if not done so already - make sure it's empty, large enough and unmounted
    WARNING -- the next command will wipe all existing data on /dev/sda5
    Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda5
    3. Mount new partition and copy files.
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/wubimove
    mount /dev/sda5 /tmp/wubimove
    rsync -av --exclude=/host --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs --exclude=/home/*/.cache/gvfs --exclude=/media/*/* --exclude=/tmp/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/var/lib/lightdm/.gvfs / /tmp/wubimove
    chmod -x /tmp/wubimove/etc/grub.d/10_lupin
    4. Setup swap partition and enable hibernation (swap must be at least as big as RAM to hibernate)
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/sda6
    echo "RESUME=UUID=$(blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda6)" > /tmp/wubimove/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
    5. Edit fstab (blank out wubi mounts with sed and add new partitions)
    Code:
    sed -i 's:/.*[\.]disk .*::' /tmp/wubimove/etc/fstab    
    echo "UUID=$(blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda5)    /    ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    1" >> /tmp/wubimove/etc/fstab
    echo "UUID=$(blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda6)    none    swap    sw    0    0" >> /tmp/wubimove/etc/fstab
    6. Remove lupin support and update grub (all in chroot). Note that this step installs the grub bootloader to /dev/sda and will replace your windows bootloader (the line 'grub-install /dev/sda') -- see note below
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/wubimove/host
    for i in dev proc sys dev/pts host; do mount --bind /$i /tmp/wubimove/$i; done
    chroot /tmp/wubimove
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    apt-get -y remove lupin-support
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sda
    echo SET grub-pc/install_devices /dev/sda | debconf-communicate
    rm /sbin/initctl
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --remove /sbin/initctl
    exit
    for i in host dev/pts dev proc sys; do umount /tmp/wubimove/$i; done
    rmdir /tmp/wubimove/host
    umount /dev/sda5
    7. Update wubi grub menu to pick up new install and exit sudo
    Code:
    update-grub
    exit
    You're done. When you reboot, you should see a grub menu instead of the windows boot menu. Select the first entry. If you didn't run 'grub-install' you can boot from the wubi menu, select your new install from the bottom after the Windows entry.

NOTE on installing the grub bootloader: you can try out the new installation by booting it from the wubi grub menu first - if you want to make sure everything is working before replacing the windows bootloader. To do this, bypass the line 'grub-install /dev/sda' and the following line (in step 6.). You can then install the grub2 bootloader manually later after booting into the new install.
    I also recommend updating the grub menu after booting into the target partition
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Other comments:
    1. Mounted partitions under /host and /media are excluded from the rsync copy automatically. Partitions mounted under other mountpoints are not and will be copied unless manually unmounted first (when running manual migration).
    2. Only the current kernel's initrd.img is updated on the migrated install; if you require others you can update them with "sudo update-initramfs -u -k <kernel version>".

Beans

Thanks bcbc! Did the migration this morning and everything went without a hitch. I'm very new to Linux however confidence is growing. I appreciate your advice. Great thread! Cheers! Mark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wojo71 View Post
    Thanks bcbc! Did the migration this morning and everything went without a hitch. I'm very new to Linux however confidence is growing. I appreciate your advice. Great thread! Cheers! Mark
    Great! Enjoy!

Beans

Works in Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit WUBI installation very well!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mustafaakin View Post
    Works in Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit WUBI installation very well!
    Great! Thanks for the feedback!

Beans

I need some help

My hp6930p latop died so i bought the same model and hardware.

My wubi install was backed up and on orignal drive.

So I installed wubi ubuntu 11.40 they copied the files over to new hard drive but it wont boot up..IS there a trick to get this to work like mount the new drive.....Please help me

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast