Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by sighfi View Post
    Thanks, bcbc, your automated migration worked very well for me.
    sighfi
    Awesome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Currently reading through this guide. Just wondering: is it possible for me to migrate a wubi installation just by having the root.disk from it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FlameReaper View Post
    Currently reading through this guide. Just wondering: is it possible for me to migrate a wubi installation just by having the root.disk from it?
    Yes it's possible, with some minor modifications to the manual conversion instructions I supplied above. But I wouldn't try it if the wubi isn't booting, i.e. if it's the broken one you mentioned in the other thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, I'm new in ubuntu, I installed ubuntu 10.04 through wubi and I'd like to move it to a real partition. I've attached the screenshot of gparted, where it's possible to see my partitions. My questions are:
    1) is this script good for my configuration? Should I leave the unallocate space as it is now, also in case to create the swap partition?
    2) is this script good considered that the "unknown" ntfs partition in sda4 is encrypted with bitlocker?
    3) since I want the boot managed by windows bootloader I guess I have to use the command - no bootloader as stated in the first post... but I haven't understood well the part about the grub loader, why and when I should install it? Is not enough the windows bootloader?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I has some questions about boot, anyway I has using Windows OS. Then I has install Ubuntu 9.10 before this. Then I uninstall it for install new Ubuntu 10.04. After that, in my boot menu has display two Ubuntu boot. But only first Ubuntu boot can load, the 2nd one cannot load. Why and how to remove it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zooster View Post
    Hello, I'm new in ubuntu, I installed ubuntu 10.04 through wubi and I'd like to move it to a real partition. I've attached the screenshot of gparted, where it's possible to see my partitions. My questions are:
    1) is this script good for my configuration? Should I leave the unallocate space as it is now, also in case to create the swap partition?
    2) is this script good considered that the "unknown" ntfs partition in sda4 is encrypted with bitlocker?
    3) since I want the boot managed by windows bootloader I guess I have to use the command - no bootloader as stated in the first post... but I haven't understood well the part about the grub loader, why and when I should install it? Is not enough the windows bootloader?
    Thanks.
    1. You can only create 4 primary partitions, so that extra space will be unusable. It is better to create an extended partition in the space from /dev/sda4 and the extra, and then you can create multiple logical partitions within that.

2. I don't know enough about bitlocker to help you with that - never used it. I do know that if you run the script it will assume the partition is empty because it sees it as "unknown". (It will ask to format it, or if you supply -y/--assume-yes it will just format it. Normally if you try and migrate to a partition with existing data it won't let you).

3. As far as booting from windows, you can use easybcd on Vista/7 to boot ubuntu, but I haven't done this myself so can't advise. You can keep booting it from the wubi install grub menu until you figure out a replacement. I'd search the forums or create a separate thread for this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by myChucky View Post
    I has some questions about boot, anyway I has using Windows OS. Then I has install Ubuntu 9.10 before this. Then I uninstall it for install new Ubuntu 10.04. After that, in my boot menu has display two Ubuntu boot. But only first Ubuntu boot can load, the 2nd one cannot load. Why and how to remove it?
    It's best to create a separate thread in this forum - this thread is about migrating wubi installs to partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    1. You can only create 4 primary partitions, so that extra space will be unusable. It is better to create an extended partition in the space from /dev/sda4 and the extra, and then you can create multiple logical partitions within that.

2. I don't know enough about bitlocker to help you with that - never used it. I do know that if you run the script it will assume the partition is empty because it sees it as "unknown". (It will ask to format it, or if you supply -y/--assume-yes it will just format it. Normally if you try and migrate to a partition with existing data it won't let you).

3. As far as booting from windows, you can use easybcd on Vista/7 to boot ubuntu, but I haven't done this myself so can't advise. You can keep booting it from the wubi install grub menu until you figure out a replacement. I'd search the forums or create a separate thread for this.
    1) the swap partition has to be primary as well? If so I still need another one primary partition free (is it adviceable to create a swap partition in linux?)

2) If I got it right the unknown encrypted partition shouldn't be a problem as far as I do not add the command -y/--assume-yes to the script, it will proceed leaving it there untouched...

3) If I set -no bootloader option I will have windows bootloader (wubi one) right? So why would I need grub or easy bcd or others?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zooster View Post
    1) the swap partition has to be primary as well? If so I still need another one primary partition free (is it adviceable to create a swap partition in linux?)

2) If I got it right the unknown encrypted partition shouldn't be a problem as far as I do not add the command -y/--assume-yes to the script, it will proceed leaving it there untouched...

3) If I set -no bootloader option I will have windows bootloader (wubi one) right? So why would I need grub or easy bcd or others?
    I think I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to migrate to /dev/sda4. If that is not the case, it's not possible to migrate.

Because you already have 4 primary partitions (the maximum possible). You cannot create any more (that 39GB extra space is unusable right now).

FYI, linux doesn't require primary partitions. You can use logical partitions for the swap or / root.
    If you had created an extended partition, then you could have defined any number of logical partitions.
    But the only way to create an extended partition now is to delete a primary partition - obviously not a trivial task as you have to backup the data prior to partitioning and restore it afterwards.

You can't boot linux directly from the windows boot manager. The only reason you can boot wubi is that a version of grub4dos is installed with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    I think I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to migrate to /dev/sda4. If that is not the case, it's not possible to migrate.

Because you already have 4 primary partitions (the maximum possible). You cannot create any more (that 39GB extra space is unusable right now).

FYI, linux doesn't require primary partitions. You can use logical partitions for the swap or / root.
    If you had created an extended partition, then you could have defined any number of logical partitions.
    But the only way to create an extended partition now is to delete a primary partition - obviously not a trivial task as you have to backup the data prior to partitioning and restore it afterwards.

You can't boot linux directly from the windows boot manager. The only reason you can boot wubi is that a version of grub4dos is installed with it.
    Ok, then I have to create manually logical partition inside extended sda4? Before to run the script?

And about the bootloader if I set option - no bootloader I'll still have wobi bootloader?

Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast